Bricking myself (new job)

Pepper

Just found out I'm to start working in Belgium, with our friendly European representative.

My Francais is pretty poor but then again our reps work standards leave a lot to be desired also.

So I'm hoping that I can help him improve the standards of his work in Belgium and I can learn far more French than I know now.

Anyone know of any good French courses that they've had experience of which may help me?

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks tinabee, for some reason I didn't get an e-mail notification of your reply.

I've found a few other sites too and am sitting listening to Michel Thomas for an hour a night to try and improve things.

My problem is I'm quite a quiet person especially when I feel uncomfortable, I can sit happily for hours without saying a word if I can get away with it. Like tonight I've been down to our local fete which has a big party in the evening but I've come away because Judiths in France and as I'd gone down there on my own I didn't have any company to stay with. so although I could have a conversation with a few people it becomes awkward after a while. I just don't think I'm a good conversationalist. its like forums I normally hang around a different forum to this but I tend to very rarely actually start threads, I just lurk in the background reading everything then popping up and helping if someone asks a question I can answer.

Ah well sorry for the rambling, don't tell Mme Poivre I'm missing her, she may hold it against me in the future.

My wife thought Michel Thomas was good stuff.  Me I am relying on GCE stuff (i.e. pre-GCSE !).

'Free flowing' conversation is in fact the hardest for me*, after a while one can feel that its a strain for everybody.

Mind you sometimes I sit quiet even in UK parties where the noise level means real conversation is killed.

I do find that I learn a lot by listening though. If you are in sales you must be reasonably gregarious ?

*caveat  - when sober.

However I have this story involving a bar, several french people and others of various nations..... oops varying off topic.

John

Hi I am reasonably outspoken but I need to be in my comfort zone, like a lot of men I suppose.

I reckon I'll be fine, its just the thought of having to get out of that comfort zone and learn things anew. Im offskie to France in a couple of weeks I'll probably nip and see one of our local friends who teaches French (actually he's a French man who used to teach English in schools in the UK), I'll get a few lessons off him while I'm over there just to give myself a little confidence. Thanks for all of your replies there have been some useful tips and hints.