Facebook - help needed please

Punch

Hi, Can anyone help me with a problem that is very important?

I have recently had an email (via facebook) from someone who I think may be my half sister and who I have been trying to find for over 30 years .

The problem is that the email says to reply to this message click on the link in the email which takes me to my facebook login page. When I login there are no messages . She gave me her name in the email but when I try to find her by her name in facebook there are over 400 entries worldwide for her, so short of sending all 400 a message I seem to have no way of replying to her! I have no idea which country she is in and have no email adress for her as her email came via facebook.

I have no idea how to reply to her message - can anyone help please?

do you actually have a facebook login? if you have it should work automatically

edit - sorry i was being dim (too much wine) - you obviously have a facebook login.  facebook has problems with some things. especially emails. I know this sounds vacuous...but try again tomorrow. chances are it will work. The thing with PC's (after 25 yrs experience) is that what happens to them today will not happen tomorrow...and vice - versa

Odile - It actually is quite a story that I may elaborate on if I find her. Thanks!

Crazyfrog -  thanks - I hope that I can find her. My father (and her's) died when I was 11 so she could help me with lots of missing links in my life.

[quote user="Punch"]

Hi, Can anyone help me with a problem that is very important?

I have no idea how to reply to her message - can anyone help please?

[/quote]

I may be stating the obvious here, but, if you cannot email her, and cannot find her out of 400 entries to her name, how about stating something about that in your profile? If she emailed you, it means she is a Facebook user, and must have picked your name out, so she will be looking for you just like you are looking for her. You could say something like "John Doe is desperate to find his half sister, who wrote to him but cannot reply to her email address now because of a technical glitch"

Punch, I do hope you two will manage to make contact.  Google and now Facebook, are such wonderful tools when looking for "lost" people - I have found a few myself, but nothing quite like you. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Punch, are you sure the message isn't in your Facebook inbox, accessed from the blue banner at the top of the page?

If not, click on the home link on the same banner, and  in the grey box on the right hand side of your screen you should see a section called Requests. 

In that section you will have one of more friend requests, find the one that you think might be your half-sister and click the confirm button.  If she is not in the list it means that you have already confirmed her as a friend, so click on the Friends link in the blue banner at the top of the page, and then on her profile/avatar, and use the send a message link to write to her.