Utility Bills

Gardian

Just a word of warning re Utility Companies, though for those of you in the UK, this won't come as much of a surprise I'd guess.

Our younger son shares a rented flat with one of his pals. I manage all the bills (their historical hopelessness with finances) and they just pay me a monthly all-up amount.  Both gas and electricity are supplied by the same provider and I've been very much aware of the escalating costs in the UK. In August, I arbitrarily increased the monthly direct debit from £60 to £80, having been unable to get my son to get off his backside and read the meters (!!)  I was still concerned though that a nasty surprise might be in store.

When we were back in the UK at Christmas, I read the blooming meters myself and our son plonked a wodge of paperwork in my hand for later reading. I did that this afternoon.  Monthly direct debit increased to £192 by the utility company.

To cut a long story short, I spent an hour checking out the numbers. The estimated readings weren't far out, but they meant an underpayment of c £200 over the last 12 months. Add to that a wild over-estimation of the next 6 months consumption and you end up with a monthly bill that had more than doubled.  My calculations suggested a more realistic figure of £110 / mth.

I rang up, ready and prepared to do battle. "Ah yes" said the charming lady on the other end. "We've been re-assessing our figures and in your case, we think that £91 / mth would be fine".  "Make it £110 and I'll keep an eye on it" said I.

So, younger son will get his ear bent, but the utility provider has been chancing it's arm (and that's a polite way of putting it).  I can't help wondering though, how many vulnerable people are being put to intolerable worry by such practices?