Fantastic Drive

AnOther

[quote user="Bugbear"]I have two friends who have ridden the Road of Death on BMW GS motorcycles. They vowed never again.[/quote]

Tell your friends that I said that they are wusses!

I did it (downhill) on a borrowed pushbike in 2004, excellent experience especially when your brakes run out before getting half way down and when meeting oncoming lorries but I question whether it really deserved its name (then) as the worlds most dangerous road, I certainly came across other equally dangerous ones in my travels but they werent promoted as a tourist experience.

From memory we descended over 10,000 feet in not very long at all but we were giving it some.

I have a friend who cycles from Sidcup to Canary Wharf and back every day, I think that he is experiencing far more risk than I did.

Editted

I have been racking my brain and I am pretty sure that the village at the bottom of the road was called Coroico. We also rode under a waterfall at one point!

[quote user="J.R."]

[quote user="Bugbear"]I have two friends who have ridden the Road of Death on BMW GS motorcycles. They vowed never again.[/quote]

Tell your friends that I said that they are wusses!

[/quote]

You can tell them yourself JR, they'll be knocking on your door any day soon..................[:P]

edited, thanks Anton.

• 1 year later...

Its an old subject but as all the posters are still current forum members I thought that I would let you know the the "death road" to Coroico will be featured on FR5 tonught at 20.45 in a program called "les routes de l'impossible"

It also features some impressive and dangerous tyrolean slides used by Andean hill farmers to bring in the harvest, very similar to many of the river crossings that I used but more virtigeonous.