Case studies needed ?

Liffy99

That's confusing because technically, working in France invalidates any S1 you might have been entitled to otherwise.

But TBH if he's been here that long he shouldn't have any bother. France will look after him regardless of what the UK does.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@CT: "How can you make plans if you don't know what is going to happen?"

Sums up the whole of Brexit, really. For everyone. Let's face it, bigger fish than your dad are in the same boat (no offence to you or him). You have to realise that the migrant healthcare issue is probably quite low down the list of priorities when taken in the context of the Irish border issue, inter alia. It's not that the UK government doesn't care, just that they don't have a clue. Luckily, since "omnishambles" was named word of the year by the OED back in 2012, we have a suitable description for the present situation..

You know, if the headlines tomorrow were "1.2 million Brits living in other EU countries get their healthcare sorted" the 60-odd million actually living in the UK wouldn't necessarily all heave a collective sigh of relief and say "Phew, thank goodness that's sorted"

"How can you make plans if you don't know what is going to happen?"

But t'was ever thus, life doesn't come with guarantees. Even when you think you know what's going to happen, you don't really. I made plans to move to France based on being able to retire at 60, I was starting to wind the business down gently, and suddenly I had to crank it up again.

The only difference seems to be that if you know you don't know you feel insecure, and if you think you know you feel secure but in fact it can turn out to be a false sense of security.

Well I never thought I would be here in Germany to be honest, I thought I would be working down in Essex. Turns out the job I really wanted was no longer there and had been moved to where I am now along with several other jobs. Now it seems many of the 3,000 jobs there are going to get early retirement, a few people there will move here and the rest, well who knows.

I see today that Mays latest proposition has already, within a few minutes received a "probably not" from Barnier.

Here is a little ditty from a German newspaper today.

"Minister of Justice wants to replace foreign workers with prisoners

The UK economy depends heavily on foreign workers from the EU. Less and less are coming after the Brexit decision. Justice Minister Gauke now wants to hire prisoners as interns or employees.".

http://www.spiegel.de/karriere/brexit-minister-will-arbeitskraefte-luecke-mit-haeftlingen-fuellen-a-1211718.html

Mind you Der Spiegel is about a whacky as The Daily Mail and Sun.

Took Spiegel a while to catch up there... That was in the news here about 10 days ago. And, to be fair, it's not as deluded as it sounds. And he's a remainer! The main flaw in his suggestion (aimed at getting former offenders back into paid employment when currently fewer than 17% are in work a year after release) is that there's no funding for them to receive training.

I would have thought the main flaw is fact that employers are often reluctant to employ ex-prisoners, for obvious reasons. There would have to be financial incentives.

I work on and off with a UK organisation that has a policy of employing young ex-offenders, it can be rewarding but it doesn't always work out and a lot of them can be hard work at first, and the average employer just isn't equipped to give individual support to half their workforce.

Timpsons have had good PR for employing ex-offenders. It seems to work for them, although I'm surprised more customers aren't slightly phased by having the keys to their home cut by someone who might have been convicted for a little light B&E.....?