Might pay off a few Debts?

Gastines

Taking an interest in the ever growing debt of the UK and reading the draconian measures the Treasury is imposing on UK residents to gather in extra cash,from selling off as many public service providers and anything else it can . I wonder how the National Trust and it's ever growing portfolio of Stately Piles etc has escaped their notice. As most of these seem to have been "Gifted" to avoid Inheritance Tax and then have to be maintained by the taxpayer,it seems that this may be the time for someone to realise the country can't afford these grandiose properties, or at least so many of them.

Anyone else think of disposable assets?

I believe you can no longer simply give a property to the National Trust you also endow it with sufficient funds to ensure its long term maintenance.

What gave you the impression they were maintained by the tax payer ?

The commercial activities of the NT are subject to VAT and Corporation tax.

The National Trust was founded in 1895 as an independent charity to hold, in perpetuity, countryside and historic buildings in England, Wales and Northern Ireland for the benefit of the nation. It is governed by the National Trust Acts of Parliament 1907 to 1971 and is not owned by the Government.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

I believe you can no longer simply give a property to the National Trust you also endow it with sufficient funds to ensure its long term maintenance.

What gave you the impression they were maintained by the tax payer ?

The commercial activities of the NT are subject to VAT and Corporation tax.

The National Trust was founded in 1895 as an independent charity to hold, in perpetuity, countryside and historic buildings in England, Wales and Northern Ireland for the benefit of the nation. It is governed by the National Trust Acts of Parliament 1907 to 1971 and is not owned by the Government.

[/quote]

You beat me to it. If you want to know how the trust is funded you can look HERE in the FAQ but I quote the bit you are interested in as its not copyrighted.

Q. Is the National Trust Government funded?

A. No. The National Trust is a charity completely independent of Government funding. We rely on the support of our 3.4 million members.

If you want to know how to leave property to the NT then you can read it all HERE

[quote user="Gastines"]Taking an interest in the ever growing debt of the UK and reading the draconian measures the Treasury is imposing on UK residents to gather in extra cash,from selling off as many public service providers and anything else it can . I wonder how the National Trust and it's ever growing portfolio of Stately Piles etc has escaped their notice. As most of these seem to have been "Gifted" to avoid Inheritance Tax and then have to be maintained by the taxpayer,it seems that this may be the time for someone to realise the country can't afford these grandiose properties, or at least so many of them. Anyone else think of disposable assets?[/quote]

Many stately piles in UK get tax relief through right to access land and property at very limited times and  which and are registered as charities to avoid more tax.

Not quite the same but a drain on the tax payers is  http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/heritage/

this is quite amazing if you bother to read it. Massive tax avoidance is given and few people if any see the items concerned.

I believe bits of the BBC are being quietly prepared to be sold - you will be assured the price is good and it's good for the country and then within a year or so the assets will be split up and sold at a massive profit.

There are plenty of quangoes to go too and the health service could lose 70% of office jobs without a loss in service. Public service workers must all have a large drop in pay and pensions - it's quite fair they will all get the same cut.