MASSIVE ENDORSEMENT OF BROWN; LABOUR JUBILANT

woolybanana

I would hardly call it an endorsement. There are 620k people living in Glasgow (July 2008) of which approximately 230k live in Glasgow North East. Now considering only 20,595 bother to vote representing 32.74% of those registered on the electoral roll that means, with a bit of quick maths that only around 62.5k of the people have bothered to register to vote.

Now of course the 'body' count of 230k included children but even so I think there are an awful lot of people there, just like there are all over the UK, who are so pea'd off with politics in general that they can't even be bothered to register to vote. So for labour to think the people of North East Glasgow have endorsed then they are sadly wrong.

As somebody said in The Times today its about time voting was compulsory and a box added 'None of the above' or 'Abstain' to the voting slip. This is something I have also thought for a very long time now and would perhaps go a long way towards people voting tactically or as a protest vote for parties like the BNP.

[quote user="Quillan"]

As somebody said in The Times today its about time voting was compulsory and a box added 'None of the above' or 'Abstain' to the voting slip. This is something I have also thought for a very long time now and would perhaps go a long way towards people voting tactically or as a protest vote for parties like the BNP. [/quote]

There has always been that possibility, its called a spoilt ballot and they are counted. When I graduated from my apprenticeship the guy on the next drawing board was a raging lefty local councillor and he told me that if the people who really didnt want to vote for any of them (as I had put forward as my excuse for not voting) spoilt there ballots we would end up with a hung parliament and perhaps constitutional reform, I cant really remember as it went over my head at the time, it being fully occupied by girls and cars.

Long afterwards I put it into practice during the elections for the local councillors in my village, it was always the same two up for election who were generally despised so I started by ticking all the candidates one year, then writing "SPOILT BALLOT" across the paper finally graduating to "ANYONE BUT THOSE TWO", every election there was one spoilt ballot recorded and it became quite a topic of conversation.