Scone query

mint

I am thinking of making some tiny cheese scones to serve at lunch as a change from just bread or crackers.

Does anyone know whether I can make the scones and freeze them raw or perhaps keep them in the fridge for a day or two before baking them?

I would really, really like to cook them whilst lunch is going on rather than cook them beforehand and then re-warm them in the oven.  This is because I don't think that, with scones, you can quite get that yummy straight-out-of-the-oven taste unless you do serve them immediately they are cooked.

Thank you for your comments.

Never tried this but I suggest you make a small amount to try beforehand and see how they turn out. If you try that, please let us know how they turn out and if you freeze the scones cut out individually, ready to bake, in which case you would have to be careful that they don't stick together when freezing, or if you freeze the whole mix and then have the palather of rolling and cutting out to bake during the meal! Otherwise, I find that if baked scones are frozen as soon as possible then they're fine reheated.

I've not tried it with the cheese variety, Sweet, but I've frozen plain and fruit scones immediately after they've cooled. Then a 2 minute refresh in a hot oven and they're fine. I make sure I've only lightly browned them. Cheese scones are a little heavier, but it would probably work fine for them too.

I think I'd better cook them and freeze them on this occasion as time is short at this time of year.  I will, however, roll them out and freeze them on a tray on another occassion, Anna, and I will certainly post the results on here.

Thank you everybody for your advice (everybody excluding Wooly but that's fine as he knows I forgive him just about everything!)

PS, I might just take them out of the oven as soon as they are risen but not really browned and then finish them off.

BTW, GG, I don't find cheese scones heavier, as long as you grate the cheese as finely as your grater permits.  Also, I cheat by using some baking powder.

[quote user="Patf"]

Do you use a raising agent? eg SR flour? Or just plain?

You could try freezing the dough in a lump and roll out when thawed.

I've frozen bread dough and it still works, but not as well as freshly made then baked.

[/quote]

Pat, must have been faffing about writing at the same time as you were posting.  Please see my reply above.

For ordinary fruit scones, I still use Memb's recipe (dear Memb, she never posts now) and for cheese ones, I use a very old recipe I have but I use a bit of baking powder just to make them look more impressive.  Sometimes I forget the BP, but they still turn out fine.

Other thing I always do is sprinkle them with a pinch of cayenne to make them rosy and, if I have it to hand, some grated parmesan as I love the smell and taste of parmesan.

Ach I kent you wadna unerstan lol!!! And, by the way, just for your info, Scotch are tomatoes, whisky and such like but never ever are the Scots or Scottish folk refered to as Scotch! Actually, as you probably know, the kings used to sit on the Stone of Destiny!

Quite right, Anna, just ignore him.  He knows nothing.  He thinks the "Twa Corbies" are three birds because he speaks French and he thinks that birds are women!  aaarrrggghhh!!!  Plus, he wouldn't mind 3 women, whatever their nationality!

Ever serious and practical: I think if you freeze them raw you might kill the effect of the baking powder and they might not rise.

My paternal Grandma was a fine baker of scones. She used to make a special batch for birthday parties and split them, butter them, and put in a coin wrapped in greaseproof paper. As a special treat for the guests. But watch your teeth!

[quote user="Anna"]Wow, where was you Gran from as I've never heard of that. We only ever had old sixpences, wrapped up in greaseproof paper, in Clootie Dumplings, for birthdays...mmmh![/quote]

Clootie dumplings?  Now even I don't understand!  What on earth are clootie dumplings?

Ooooh, Woolybully, just Google it lol!!! here: http://recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/traditional_halloween_pudding_from_scotland not just for Hallow'een..any celebration would do! You haven't lived if you havenae tasted Clootie Dumplin!!!