Forum Member cooperlola

cooperlola2

It must be so very hard for you, Mr. Coops, to see her like this and know that there is nothing you can do for her - even if you know that she is in extremely good hands. I am sure I am not the only one who looks in regularly to try and keep up-to-date with what is happening to Debs. I refrain from posting because so many others say what I would like to say, but I do look in several times a day.

If you are unfamiliar with hospital procedures, and given that she is far from home on top of that, it must be even more frightening. But at least you were able to communicate, and have physical contact. It must have been very nice also for her to hold hands, to remind her that she still has a body and that not all of it is numb or in pain. You never know, one day she and you might look back on all this, and remind yourselves that this is what it took for Debs to give up the Gauloises. In the meantime, at times like this, the only thing you can really do is to take one day at a time, and rejoice over the tiny positive changes.

You do sound like you have a good spirit - and Debs, well I think it has always been obvious that she has. It will stand her in very good stead. Many people are thinking of you both and keep sending good vibes your way. 

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian, it must have been so distressing for both you and her. But she's only just starting to learn to breathe normally again. As 5E says, just look at tiny steps forward.

If she has broken ribs this could explain her painful breathing - I say that from personal experience.

I may be wrong, but I think physiotherapy can sometimes help in learning to use the breathing apparatus when there's difficulty. Maybe when she's feeling stronger...... Pat.

Great news that you made contact with Debs, lovely time [:D]

The breathing problems probably mean she is starting to breathe under her own steam. I remember some very scarey moments  when OH was sedated-covered in tubes etc. but all turned out well in a very short time. It did seem forever at the time, as though time was standing still, but from entering hospital to full recovery was less than a couple of months.

Have a nice warm milk and brandy for bed Ian, there are lots of people thinking about you and sending best wishes.

Jan

Yes, everybody's thinking of you both.

Holding hands must have been so good for both you and her..

I remember, when I was in hospital in real pain, a Dr stroke my hair, just a simple human thing, and that really helped.

Now gradually, things should get better for Debs, the worst is behind you.

Courage !

Not much to add to what others have said, just reiterating my best wishes and to say that I'm thinking of you and Debs.

Don't know if you're a smoker Ian, probably seriously overdosing if you are, but could this be an excellent opportunity for Debs to wean herself off them [I]

No, I've never been a ciggy person - but for about 30 years I did puff away at small cigars when we were in the pub. Deb did likewise, but almost certainly inhaled, which I've never learned to do. None of this can be helping just now.

4 years ago this morning, Deb and I locked our house in Kent and set off for a new life. Let's hope this is just a blip in the much nicer time we've been having here in France.

My little girl had an operation at the beginning of July and I know that it's hell while you're in the eye of the storm but you will both come through it in time and like us - just 2 months later - will feel it was such a long time ago that things were so bad.

Thinking of you both x

I am sending Mrs Lola these lovely vibes (the nicest ones I have at the moment) you may not see them yourself, but they are here! I was going to ask the pug to send her some too, but he is fresh out of them due to his problem. While you are in Rouen,  if you see any butter dishes with a cow sitting on cabbage, please let me know as a matter of urgency. [kiss]

Quite a change when I walked in today. Deb was asleep – she remained so throughout my visit – but her breathing was so much better! In nearly 2 hours, I think I heard her cough once. In contrast, yesterday she was in considerable discomfort and coughing a great deal. Her heart rate was much lower today – I don’t think we got an alarm all visit. Blood pressure looked good, and her oxygen level was in the required range, too. Bafflingly, when an alarm does go off on the monitor next to the bed, it is for another patient, a Mr Mohammed Mellah, who is two rooms away. His traces replace all but Deb’s heart trace on the screen, then after a few mins they disappear and we resume Deb’s stuff. Amazing what you take in when sitting with a sleeping partner!

This is a corner turned. I am much happier.

Ian

I am one of the many who read this thread 3 times a day to see what is happening.  I think she (and you) have turned a corner now, and we are all so pleased for you.  If you keep looking at the number of "Views" on this post, you will see how many people care.

Best wishes to you both

Chrissie (81)

Hi Coops, in the terms of a Le Mans documentary, its a race on the world's hardest endurance course ;
whilst Debs distance is a bit longer than 24 hrs maybe, Deb is on her cordoned off country road now.
Driving steadfastly, every few hours partner drivers going through the procedure changes;
it's still a challenge for mind and body; but despite being under extraordinary pressure,
progress is improving as the minutes and miles tick by!

Surely she must be pleased with her progress so far, what good news! [:)]

Dear Ian and Debs... just wanted to echo what has been said.  I keep reading this thread, hoping for good news... and like everyone else, I'm so pleased to hear that Debs seems to have turned a corner.  OH and I are both thinking of you and yours... hope it helps having so many friends wishing you well and  I'm sure Debs will be proud of your posts and your updates! [:D]