Which sterling notes are good?

woolybanana

Reluctantly I have to go to the UK for the first time in ten or so years and would like to use up the few sterling banknotes I have kicking around. However, I think that some may have gone out of use, for example the one with Boudicca's head on it and the one with Hitler's standard on it.

Could some kind soul please tell an old man what is still legal tender as I am sure that using the wrong banknote is an offence in the dying kingdom of Caligula or is it Nero?

Thank you in advance.

£20 notes are blue with a picture of Adam Smith on the reverse; £10 notes are brown with a picture of Charles Darwin; fivers are green with Elizabeth Fry's picture. I never seem to get anything bigger myself.

Edit: this might help, it says that the Edward Elgar £20 notes are still OK up to June.

Scottish, Jersey etc notes seem to be quite widely accepted in bigger shops. Many will also take euros.

Do try to enjoy your trip. It's not as bad over here as certain people make out. Caligula resigned and was replaced by Gordonus Fuscus. But rumour has it the Ides of May are nigh for him.

Old notes are still valid for their face value but have to be sent to the Bank of England.  Recently, I was an executor of a will and had to sort out a whole pile of old notes.  You just fill in a form and send them off.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/about/faqs.htm#1

Thank you Cathy. Thanks to you I was able to download the right form and will be able to exchange, by post, the few  £10 notes I'd kept for a rainy day - obsolete since 2003!!![:'(]

Shall I do yours at the same time WB, or would that blow your cover?[blink]

[quote user="Cathy"]

Recently, I was an executor of a will and had to sort out a whole pile of old notes. 

[/quote]

As you are an old fashioned girl surely you were an executrix?

Latin scholars rule