cafetieres

mint

Does anyone know whether you can buy the glass "jugs" that fit into cafetiere "holders"?

I am talking about the standard 8-cup cafetieres with plungers.  I have broken 3 or 4 of these things in quick sucession and it seems a waste throwing the whole caboodle away when the only broken thing is the glass bit.

I have the plungers saved in case!

Handy to know that Pachapapa, I've broken a couple in my time.

Actually I was thinking today that I'd put my cafetiere to bed and buy a basic simple coffee filter machine. I read somewhere that cafetieres can be linked to cancer, afraid I've forgotten the details. Anybody else heard this rumour?

[quote user="idun"]http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cafetiere+italienne&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADRA_en&redir_esc=&ei=m9aLTdr6KdS1hAfR7MW6Cw  Best coffee I EVER make is in a cafetiere italienne. I have had mine for years and years and never broken it. I have broken glass jugs on other coffee makers.[/quote]

With you on that. Bought one for €6 in Spain and found that it makes the best coffee I have ever tasted.

[quote user="Frecossais"]Handy to know that Pachapapa, I've broken a couple in my time.
Actually I was thinking today that I'd put my cafetiere to bed and buy a basic simple coffee filter machine. I read somewhere that cafetieres can be linked to cancer, afraid I've forgotten the details. Anybody else heard this rumour?
[/quote]

What I heard was the other way round.  That filter coffee is more carcenogenic. I understand that the coffee is more harmful if it's left to stand.  Therefore, with a cafetiere, if you just let it drip through and then pour it out straightaway, it's safer.

Will look in Leclerc or Auchan next time, thank you, folks.

I'm not too concerned about the cancer bit as I generally limit myself to one mug at breakfast time and that's it for the whole day.  If one mug a day is too much, then it's too bad.....[:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

... filter coffee is more carcenogenic. I understand that the coffee is more harmful if it's left to stand.  Therefore, with a cafetiere, if you just let it drip through and then pour it out straightaway, it's safer.

[/quote]

I am a bit confused here, Sweet.  In a cafetiere nothing "drips" anywhere.  It is a glass jug into which you put the ground coffee, pour water on top, and then press down the plunger to push the coffee grounds down to the bottom when you reckon it's brewed.
The "drip through" system is the filter machine.  [8-)]

Angela

Ah, I beg your pardon, Angela.  I am not explaining myself at all well.  It's been a very long day and I have consumed rather a lot of wine!

What I read was that if the coffee is left to sit around, such as in a Cona coffee machine, rather than being freshly made, poured out and drunk, then it's more harmful.

In my cafetière, I make the coffee and, as soon as it's been standing a couple of minutes, I put down the plunger and pour it out.  I do not let the coffee stand, I do not re-heat what's left, I chuck all the grounds out and that's it.

Is that a better explanation?

I'm going to google this stuff and, if I read anything different, I'll let you know.