Naan bread

mint

Can you make naan bread in advance, say the day before you need them, and then re-heat? 

I am looking at a few recipes and I think I have found a relatively straightforward one that only requires the oven and not the grill or anything tricky like a tandoor (after all, I don't live with Dog!)  I am only now getting acquainted with my oven (not the best or most user-friendly I have ever owned [:(]) and I don't really want to have to use the grill at this time.

I am nervous about making naan for the first time for guests but I don't mind doing a dummy run to ensure that I've got the knack.  Even so, I am always happier if I could make things in advance, especially as these are people I haven't cooked for for a long time and it will be their first visit chez nous.

Any tips, hints, astuces etc very gratefully received [:D]

once you have cooked them allow to cool just a little , wrap in tin foil , this will cause a little condensation to film the inside of the foil, tomorrow put in the oven still in the foil and reheat at the last min open the foil and leave in the oven for another couple of mins and they will be fresh as a daisy ......

Your welcome ... to use longer than a day or two , freeze them and reheat from frozen this will also keep them fresh ,

This is what I do with my pizza bases , I go mad and make 20 in one go and freeze them to use as and when I like

Dog, I hope you are about this evening so that you can give me some advice.

I had a go at the naan bread and, although OH kindly said he liked it, I don't think it looked or tasted right.  They were more like pitta bread than naan bread!

I'm going to try another recipe with warm milk and eggs and hope tomorrow is warm enough to make bread.  It's been very cool this evening and I had to put on a fleece to take the dog out.  Had to hunt around for a fleece as the unpacking since the move has not yet been completed.......aaarrrggghhh!

Would love to get this naan bread thing sorted as I have now more or less decided what the rest of the meal will be.

Did the dough rise?

Put it in the iron pan on fairly high heat, when it gets half cooked brush with oil or butter and garlic/herbs....

If you don't want to use Naan try cassava, deep fry - I love the stuff. Serve as is or with a tamarind sauce mmmmmm.

Special Chat is stupidly easy to make if you can find some gujarati mix.

We have been feasting on haloumi, vine tomatoes and onion curry this week.

Thought tonight had a wood oven pizza with black tomato sauce and various goodies.

Bloomin' autumnal here - and lots of visitors arriving soon from USA and UK.

You ain't that far from Perigueux you'll have to come for dinner.

This is how I make my naan , do you do it the same way ?

Ingredients

2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

1 teaspoon active dry yeast

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon white sugar

2 cups plain flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon ghee

2 tablespoons plain yogurt

2 teaspoons onion seed

Directions

1. Whisk the warm water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.

2. Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl add the yeast mixture, half of the ghee, oil and all the yogurt. Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size .

3. Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece out into 8 inch round naans.

4. Cover an oven tray with foil and grease the foil. Brush the naan with a little of the remaining ghee and sprinkle with some of the kalonji. Cook naan one at a time under a very hot grill for about 2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.

Will have another go.  I do have a ceramic type pan that is meant for pancakes and it does get very hot so I might re-try using that.

If the guests are going to have naan to eat with their curry, I think I'd better try tomorrow...

Will let you know if I manage to actually make the bread!

After reading this thread I was going to attempt to make them, but didn't read the instructions bit of the recipe in time to allow for 2 hours in the airing cupboard :-)! So bought some Pitta Breads instead and they were nearly as good.