Don't buy a Kia

powerdesal

Anyone considering buying a Kia in France should carefully consider the (much vaunted) 7 year warranty.

It may well be no problem making a claim in France for a repair carried out in France but........If you travel to UK and need a repair under warranty you will be effectively stuffed.

Kia UK Head Office do state that warranty repairs are possible for French registered vehicles but unfortunately their dealers don't know this (or at least Joblings of Bicester don't).

The dealer will carry out the repair of course and charge you for it, then tell you to make a claim when back in France, Kia France then tell you 'Non', the claim must be made by the UK dealer via Kia UK who then tell you 'NO'.....and so it goes on.............

ps Anyone got the address of the Society of Motor traders in UK ???????

[quote user="Bob T"]So because one person in France bought a Kia and had problems in the UK, then no-one should buy a Kia? I would suggest that there are many thousands of happy Kia owners in France, and no I don't own one.

[/quote]

Perhaps the post title was somewhat bad.

I did effectively say that the ''International'' nature of the warranty should be considered at the time of purchase.

I hope there are indeed many thousands of happy Kia owners, We certainly are very happy with our Sportage, it's an excellent car and yes, I would buy another but not the new Sportage because I don't like the shape. Other than the battery / warranty issue I think its comfortable, fast enough, economical enough, very well equipped and very nice to drive.

I've had 2 Kias. The first did 195,000 miles in 3 years (minicabbingi) and then practically fell to pieces, but prior to that it never had a serious breakdown. The second did 188,000 miles in 8 years, then I sold it, and as far as I know it is still running. Excellent qualité/prix.

• 3 months later...
I have to agree but for different reasons

the service agents for Kia are dreadful.

Did an anuall service and didnt change the oil filter Excuse was that the had to order one even though the date of service was 2 weeks from when i booked it in. They did not even tell me they had not changed the filter and onlt admitted it when i asked them why it had not been changed

[quote user="stevelaf"]I have to agree but for different reasons the service agents for Kia are dreadful. Did an anuall service and didnt change the oil filter Excuse was that the had to order one even though the date of service was 2 weeks from when i booked it in. They did not even tell me they had not changed the filter and onlt admitted it when i asked them why it had not been changed[/quote]

I can remember being in a Ford dealers parts department and one of the mechnics said to one of the parts people 'can I swap these spark plugs for xxx model'. The only conclusion that I could draw was that he had not changed them on a customers car when being serviced for which the customer would be billed and swapped them for a set for his car or some private work he was doing - just wonder if the filter was the same thing

Paul