Plums for jam

mint

I usually do mine quite ripe without any problem.  If you have some which are doubtful setters  -  and some plums are, despite most of them setting like fury, then use them slightly less ripe.

Do you know what variety they are ?

(I am rather envious of you if you have a good crop  -  not a very good showing up here .)

[quote user="Gengulphus"]Do you know what variety they are ?

(I am rather envious of you if you have a good crop  -  not a very good showing up here .)

[/quote]

No, don't know about variety:  they are plum-coloured and are smallish, not quite so big as Victorias [:D]

They are hanging off the trees like huge bunches of grapes!

Trust them to need being made into jam when it's 34 degrees in the shade!

[quote user="sweet 17"]Trust them to need being made into jam when it's 34 degrees in the shade![/quote]

Sorry to hear that you are having such a cool time of it  -  it was 40° in Dijon this afternoon [:D]

You could always freeze them, and do them later.  This is what I do if I think that jam-making is going to give me heat-stroke.

I love plums, but do not like plum jam at all, find it fade.

I would make up compote and freeze it. I use unsweetened compote to go in sweet and sour, I make less of that, as we don't eat so much sweet and sour. The sweetened is eaten with custard, goes on tarts, in pies, in crumbles, in yoghurt, even a layer in a cake with some cream, or just on it's own.

Compote is a far less difficult thing to make. I wash and stone the fruit and put it in a pan without water, and let it do it's stuff on a very low heat. Switch it off, let it cool, bag or box it and bang it in the freezer.  

I make a sweet compote with mirabelles and apricots too. There are few fruits that I like as jams. Frais, framboise and cassis and that is it; I never make jam.

Id and Pat, do you put any sugar into the compote?

And, if you don't, isn't it very sour?

Please tell me quickly as I think I might get the steps out later today and gather some plums.

Was meant to have gone out for a long walk this morning ending with aperos but I couldn't face the heat and I felt quite ill last night and was unable to sleep.  So, a bit of light work like gathering plums might just be the sort of activity to make me feel less feeble and slobbish [:)]

For the sweetened compote, if you use one of those big fait toutz, I would wash and stone the plums and half fill the pan, and then add at least 250grs of sugar. I leave it covered on a tiny heat. As the liquid comes out and the sugar mixes in I taste and see and add more sugar if I need to. It's compote, it would be hard to over do it. Sometimes it takes more sugar, others it doesn't.

I cook au pif a lot of the time with things like this. I do find compote far more versatile than jam.