Remoska problems

woolybanana

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="sweet 17"]

You must NOT put people off it, Teapot.

I've just used mine this morning for warming up the baguettes.  Now if I had to put on my ridiculously large oven, I'd have eaten the things cold and wouldn't have enjoyed them nearly as much.

[/quote]

How does it differ from a slow cooker?

The element is in the lid of a remoska and heat rises, wasting some energy/electricity. Slow cooker element in the bottom heat rises heating the food. They both use a similar amount of power and you can warm baguettes in a slow cooker.

[/quote]

Oh, Teapot, that's far TOO technical for me![:-))]

Look, before I bought the remoska, there was a bit of a discussion on the forum about the pros and cons of both and I plumbed for the remoska, that's all.

I thought you have to have LIQUID to cook things in the slow cooker?  But you can nonetheless warm a baguette up in it?  Or am I thinking of a pressure cooker?  Now, see how you have got me confused![8-)]

Sweet'ums you have just given me an idea [I]

I have one of those inverters (240 volt mains) they use in caravans etc, I could plug in the slow cooker on my journey to France this week and have hot food (baguette or other) en route. Make a change from sandwiches [8-|] 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Er......what about spilled stew or soup or curry on the back seat?[:-))]

[/quote]

Stand it in a washing up bowl and put it on the floor. We often do this in the camper car where, when stationary, our leisure battery is kept topped up by our solar panel. Resourceful people, us slow cooker users.  [:P]

[quote user="woolybanana"][quote user="sweet 17"]

Just stick with the baguettes eh, Teapot?[:)]

[/quote]

Well, spilt soup equals happy dog. Spilt curry equals hot dog!

[/quote]

And if, OTOH, the dog falls into the slow cooker, will it be dripping?[6]

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

Stand it in a washing up bowl and put it on the floor. We often do this in the camper car where, when stationary, our leisure battery is kept topped up by our solar panel. Resourceful people, us slow cooker users.  [:P]

[/quote]

Maybe I could put any sloppy food in a roasting bag inside the slow cooker, to keep from spilling whilst doing 130kph

Our slow cookers are only 200w compared to you energy guzzling remoskas at 470w, mind you I don't think I can roast in a slow cooker but I don't want to because I would have to stop every 1 1/2 hours to eat a roast dinner [:)]

200 watts at 240v is about one ampere, would that not be drawing 20 amperes from your car battery allowing for the invertor losses?

I dont think that trailer auxiliary socket wiring is actually rated to 20 amps as they severely limit the current drawn on 3 way fridges on the 12volt setting.

I thought that they used to sell slow cookers with the motto that it only uses as much electricity as (an old style non green/eco) light bulb, I thought that mine was 60 watts.

With an 80 amp charging circuit that won't be an issue. I wouldn't use the horrible aux socket, I connect to the battery direct, that said I think (I will check) that the aux is on a 5 amp fuse and it will pull 16amps.  Well it did it on the aux circuit but I wouldn't like to run that for long as the leads did get warm.

That was on high and just warming up, there is the low and warm settings and I would imagine once up to temp consumption should drop off a bit but let's face it what advertiser actually tells the truth?