A few quid for the Mau Mau but no apology

woolybanana

How far do we go back???? Suffragettes families claiming????? Guy Fawkes ancestors wanting dosh. Can women claim,  wanting back pay for all the years they were underpaid and reparations for being treat like chattels.

I am against it and I would like to know who paid for the legal fees.

I understand that the kenyans wanted the british rulers out. And it all got nasty, when in history of the world has it not got nasty? Mankind is like that too much of the time.

As far as I am aware, Kenya has done very well with money poured into it since independence and I would rather like to think that it was put to good use to help it's people. That should be enough.

Wooly your getting just like The Guardian and the Dauly Mail with your "Subject" line.

The actual title should be the same as the article really which is "Britain has said sorry to the Mau Mau. The rest of the empire is still waiting" and yes they are getting some money.

To a degree I think Idun is right, how far do you go back? I also notice there is a lot of other colonialist countries running around apologising, NOT.

Japan has not officially said sorry for any of its atrocities carried out during WW2. Even when Emperor Akihito visited Peal Harbour he still did not apologise so in hindsight and even though it was under duress (they were told by the High Court to apologise) at least the UK has tried to apologise for some of the things it did in the past.

I think attempts to re-write history are ridiculous.

While it's true that we did awful things to the Mau mau they themselves were not exactly a peaceful protest organisation.

Where should it stop ?

Will America sue us for what happened during their war of independence ? Can I sue Iraq for what they did to my uncle in 1916.

In more recent times there are plenty of people in this bit of France who could sue the Germans for their random killings of elderly farmers just tilling their fields and for removing people from the hospital and shooting them.

With the current passion for righting ancient wrongs perhaps we could sue all those paedophile kings and princes who married underage princesses without their consent.

Hoddy

Anyone trying to sue for historic reparations in any of the countries mentioned above would be wasting time energy and money. They just don't have the kind of court which would produce a similar decision[:(]

[quote user="Hoddy"]I think attempts to re-write history are ridiculous.

While it's true that we did awful things to the Mau mau they themselves were not exactly a peaceful protest organisation.

Where should it stop ?

Will America sue us for what happened during their war of independence ? Can I sue Iraq for what they did to my uncle in 1916.

In more recent times there are plenty of people in this bit of France who could sue the Germans for their random killings of elderly farmers just tilling their fields and for removing people from the hospital and shooting them.

With the current passion for righting ancient wrongs perhaps we could sue all those paedophile kings and princes who married underage princesses without their consent.

Hoddy[/quote]

Personally, I think we should sue the Americans for 1776. After all, it was us who spent all the money to get the French out of there for them. And at the end of the day, it was just the tea we taxed (eventually...).

Are any of these "apologies" anything more than pro-forma? Let's face it, any of those apologising have no connection to what they are apologising for. many were at best in short pants at the time, if they were even born. I can't see how anyone apologised to can seriously or honestly say they feel any better for it.