Political Party to kill somoking ban in public (including pubs)

Quillan

Feeling a bit cantankerous tonight following a conversation with a UKIP member over dinner I was told that UKIP intends to scrap existing laws on smoking at work, pubs and public places (I am not too sure there is a ban on public places in the UK but there you go). It's enough to make a smoker think of voting for them. I did a google on 'UKIP and smoking ban' and stone the crows that chap is right, the smoking ban will be consigned to the bin should UKIP win the next election. Nothing to do with the 60 per day B&H smoker leader who like a fag and a pint down the local by any chance? Great news  though being a smoker myself.

In our recent local elections, UKIP candidates won a fair number of seats on our local council. Everyone was agog to see what policies they would influence etc.

It turns out that their main concern was that the council should stop flying the EU flag!

Don't know if anyone watched Farrage on the Andrew Marr show on Sunday? He seems to think that if he gets enough MP's and that should the Tories need to form another coalition they would pick the UKIP rather than the Liberals "as they (UKIP) have more in common with the Tories". Personally I think he has as much chance of that happening as the smoking ban being thrown out and me being hit by a meteorite. [;-)]

I think it is good that they won seats in local elections because people will see what they are really like before we get to the 'big one' and they might not get so many votes as they first thought. We will see.

I sometimes went to a pub near to where I lived some years ago and when I got home my clothes had to go straight in to the washing machine because they reeked of 'fags'. Think that if the ban is reversed publicans might find that they have smokers back in the pub sipping halves because of the cost of beer and cigarettes whilst the non-smokers (and perhaps some smokers) have got used to unpolluted air and will buy their beer in supermarkets and drink at home in clear air.

Perhaps this shows up UKIP as being an opportunist party some of whose policies are designed to appeal to those who do not have the ability to think for themselves. 

[quote user="PaulT"]

Perhaps this shows up UKIP as being an opportunist party some of whose policies are designed to appeal to those who do not have the ability to think for themselves. 

[/quote]

If you read what comes out from the other parties especially at their recent conferences I think they all are (opportunists) even if one or two ideas are quite ridiculous and unworkable in the real world.

UKIP seems to believe that all UK problems would be solved if only the UK left the EU. I suspect that if the UK did leave the EU there would still be many issues that would not be resolved by UKIP's suggested solutions. The UK is a trading nation and so is affected by what is happening in the wider world. The EU without the UK would be even less likely to pay attention to UK issues.

IMO it would be better to renegotiate the EU rules rather than leaving.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Perhaps we could solve two birds with one stone, so to speak; why not line up the UKIP people and the smokers and shoot the lot?[/quote]

Good point but then the NHS would possibly loose out on around £4bn plus a year seeing as according HMRC website tobacco tax brings in around £9.7bn and the NHS website says smokers cost the NHS around £5bn a year. Not only do smokers pay for their own treatment but they donate roughly the same again for non smokers to be treated. They also save the state pension money because they die earlier than non smokers, or so they say. [;-)]

[quote user="woolybanana"]By the way, is UKIP the British Tea Party?[/quote]

Makes you wonder doesn't it. [:D]