Bonfires

Elaine56

hi
My husband has been building a lovely bonfire which he would like to set alight when we get out there at Easter but something tells me he's missed the deadline for bonfires. Does anyone know the rules, I realise different regions/departments probably have different rules, but I know its something along the lines of not after the last Sunday in March until Sept or Oct?? Its a shame as we are going to have this mountain of an eyesore at least its hidden behind our hedge in the field.

Thanks anyone
Elaine

I think you are right. Last year it was extended because of the canicule until the end of October. I seem to think it is 15th March to 15th October but you will have to ask as TU says. If I see neighbour, will ask him. Husband says he thinks it is later, June perhaps but he is just a man......!

Guest CFrost
My copy of the Arrt Prfectorial Perigord is a couple of years old now but I imagine the principles are broadly the same. Bonfires near woods and forests were banned from the 15 February to the 15 May and from 15 June to 15 October. The dates could be modified in the event of exceptional weather. Bonfires were permitted from the 16 May to the 14 June and from 16 October to 14 February. During this period all fires close to a wooded zone, less than 200m for owners or less than 400m for tenants, had to have prior permission from the mairie of the commune. Prior permission etc did not exempt you from responsibility in the event of a fire.

Locally the mass burning of walnut tree trimmings seems to have continued regardless!