The Sheer Insanity not only continues: It Just Became Worse!

Gluestick

It isn't new employment legislation is it? It's just existing legislation with some discussion as to what extent obesity might be considered a disability. Equipment such as suitable chairs for someone who spends all day sitting, is already obligatory under the employers responsibility for health and safety at work and nothing to do with whether anyone is obese or not. When I worked in UK all employees had their work stations assessed and if necessary special equipment provided. One of my colleagues was deaf and needed a specially adapted telephone. Is that any different to providing someone with a bigger chair? I'm also not sure this legislation has much to do with the EU. Isn't the European court of human rights separate from the EU? It also has nothing much to do with UKIP, although no doubt they will try and milk it, as the UK led the way in Europe with anti disability legislation and in many ways is ahead of many other EU countries. I can't see getting out of Europe making that any different.

[quote user="lindal1000"]It isn't new employment legislation is it? It's just existing legislation with some discussion as to what extent obesity might be considered a disability. Equipment such as suitable chairs for someone who spends all day sitting, is already obligatory under the employers responsibility for health and safety at work and nothing to do with whether anyone is obese or not. When I worked in UK all employees had their work stations assessed and if necessary special equipment provided. One of my colleagues was deaf and needed a specially adapted telephone. Is that any different to providing someone with a bigger chair? I'm also not sure this legislation has much to do with the EU. Isn't the European court of human rights separate from the EU? It also has nothing much to do with UKIP, although no doubt they will try and milk it, as the UK led the way in Europe with anti disability legislation and in many ways is ahead of many other EU countries. I can't see getting out of Europe making that any different.[/quote]

Actually the guy lost if you read it carefully. What the court has said is that in certain circumstances obesity can be classed as a disability. It is however up to each individual member state to determine what level and cause of obesity in an individual can be classed as a disability. Like I said earlier some medical conditions cause obesity but in many cases it is just over eating and no exercise. Imagine if you will how those who are obese through medical grounds feel when placed in the same group as those who just scoff food and never exercise? For them being classed as disabled puts them in a totally different group and by stopping companies from refusing them employment means they can work, do something productive, not become a drain on the state and get a feeling of self worth. It also gives the same protection from fellow employees (or employer) when it comes to abuse, verbal or otherwise just as having naked pictures of women on walls, name calling etc. Seems fair enough to me.

The other thing the court has suggested is what in ‘size’ could help define obesity and they suggest 40 BMI. In a way this is important and helps protect employers as well, mainly because we are in uncharted waters to start with. It is pretty obvious to us these days that losing a particular finger (or toe) is not a disability where as losing an arm or leg, or part of either is.

The European Court of Justice (in which this ruling was made) interprets EU and ensures it is applied across the whole of the EU. The European Court of Human Rights is nothing to do with the EU but its member states and any other European country which is a member, Russia for instance. This is a problem that Ukip has a problem coming to terms with. Leaving the EU will not stop the UK from having to abide by ECHR laws and people will retain the right to take anyone or thing to the ECHR.