Moving to France for three months

Jill1Manger

Hi there,

My partner and I have just been made redundant (it's s good thing!) and are moving for a short time into a half renovated house my parents bought near Nantes 17 years ago with a view to at least speeding up (if not completing) the many half started jobs. As I've never lived abroad before I'm unsure legally where we stand with regards identity cards, tax payments, health care etc. As I said, we're only going to be in France for 12-14 weeks but from some postings I've read on the forum I'm beginning to think we may need to be registered as residents? We will not be working (apart from on our house), nor claiming anything but I've yet to find a definitive guide outlining what we need to do/fill in/notify.

Any advice (really, any at all!) or suggestions for helpful reading would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jill

PS. We plan to go towards the end of May

Jill
So what you are REALLY doing is going on a self-catering 'holiday' for 3 months. Rather like a gap-year student. Lucky you, I feel a bit jealous, actually. So who do you need to contact? You could go into the Mairie to let them know you are there but I don't think you need bother. Certainly go around to the neighbours and say hi. Thats it. Oh, and EDF, water and telephone; if they aren't turned on you will need to tackle that.

After all, we are one big EU happy family, n'est pas?

Happy renovating!
Belinda

I wouldn't bother for three months only with the resident bit,but I do suggest you get some sort of health insurance to cover you especially if doing DIY as French hospital care for the uncovered is horribly expensive and you could end in deep trouble. Don't forget to get a three month insurance card for your car as well in case one of the crazy french drivers hits you.