A bit alarmed.

Val_2

Watching BBC TV whilst the floor was drying this morning I was intrigued by the debate on the new ID cards and their technology for taking face prints,finger prints,iris prints etc which are supposed to be coming in over the new years (upto 2013) for all british citizens. They then mentioned that in THREE YEARS time ALL new and renewed British passports would be having some sort of same technology included in them. This worries me because:-
a. Does it mean all British passport holders living in France will have to go to the main Embassy in Paris personally to renew their passports (for us a six hour car drive one way or very expensive train ride for four and accomodation charge for a night).
b. What will the cost be considering the already higher charge in France for new and renewed passports compared to the UK?

Perhaps we should suggest the embassy buy an old van and come round the country doing mobile passport renewals with this new gadgetry a bit like the Barbe Bleu vans!!

I had been wondering exactly the same thing Val. Not only are the passports are LOT more expensive when we live here, but we may well have to deplace to get them done. Hopefully the 'local' consulates will be kitted up, but even that for many of us will mean one heck of a drive.

Whilst watching the news unfold with regard to the ID cards the thought occurred to me that there has been quite a lot on this forum about the CDS maybe/maybe-not being discontinued, probably due to to some EU regulation I suppose. So, does that mean, those that live here and already have a CDS will get one of the new "Blunkett Cards"?

This is interesting as my husband recently renewed his passport and we were going to go to Bordeaux or Paris to do so, but read (whether correct or not) that although Consulates could renew passports the resulting document is not 'machine readable' even now, which may give rise to problems and the need for a visa if travelling anywhere outside Europe. In the end he opted for a quick Ryanair trip to London - renewing passport on the spot - he had to make appointment in advance by phone to do this, but it was easy and in the end cheaper, for us, than renewing in France.

When phoning the passport office I asked why we as British citizens couldn't simply renew our passports by post like everyone else and was told it was because post was not secure.
When I asked why registered post from France was less secure than ordinary post from, say, Glasgow or Cornwall they couldn't tell me. No one seemed to be able to advise whether a passport produced in France would in fact be 'readable' or not.

I've been advised by friends (but haven't tried it) that you can travel in Europe just using your Carte de Sejour as it is equivalent of ID card. Would be interested to know if this is true as its certainly more convenient to carry around. Anyone know the answer?

Maggi