Are "Social media" harmful?

NormanH

Anything which does not have responsible oversight is harmful, not just to youngsters. The question is how to teach youngsters and others to deal with it and how to control and limit access. Thus far, there does not seem to be a concerted effort to do these things.

As above, plus:

1) people no longer have to use their brains to evaluate what they see and read. They're swept along by and believe the prevailing views of whatever they cast their eyes on.

2) getting used to having 'friends' online they slowly lose the social skills needed to make real relationships, especially language and empathy. Family life suffers.

Sounds dramatic, but I fear human brains will atrophy. If you don't use it you'll lose it. Even tiny children are becoming addicted.

However I read somewhere the other day that people aren't so keen now on these fads - what will take their place?

Yes of course it can be horrific, but as with everything it depends how you use it and sadly it seems an addiction to too many.

Of the good, because there is much good too......... eg:  my cousin loves it, keeps her in touch with her family on the other side of the world.

Even boards like this can be really bad too and I would not say that this was really social media. Two things have happened to me, one of which I have mentioned on here many times, because it happened on here.

But also on another board when someone had a go at me so virulently that it took my breath away and I was literally shaking, I never went back, even though I liked my discussions with quite a lot of people on there.

Idun -  I agree that this kind of forum can be addictive, and also lead to the kind of nastiness that you apparently get on twitter etc. But it's on a much smaller scale.  I know I'm addicted to some extent.

On facebook etc there seems to be more close social group and family sub-forums, where fallouts are more personal and have more widespread effects.

I have had accounts on both, but kicked them in to touch ages ago. Now I don't touch them, now even with a long stick! Instagram? I had to look it up to see what that's about? No thank you again.

I think that one of the dangerous uses of them are by idiots that trype first and think, or probably not, later. The new prat I/C the USA is a good example of that!

Forums are different. Yes, they tend to have 'families' too, but at least they are monitored, smaller and much better managed. At least the ones I subscribe to and if that changes then I just opt out.