How convenient

nomoss

Not sure where you are coming from Nomoss.

Its not that very strange that an institution that studies Tropical Medicine has staff and students working in the tropics. The article seems to suggest that the particular area helped to study the diseases of that area.

Nice place to go to thought if one is not likely to get tropical diseases.

Ah, so you are concerned, and I have a question for you.

This island's population suffers some of the worst illness's that people can get.

As their location means that research can be done in as near to isolation as could be hoped for in a population, and the testing and subsequent results with few external

Influences could well result in progress in treating some of these illnesses.

And it does not even imply that there is anything untoward about this research. No Mengele type research.

So my question, why are you concerned, if you had one of these illnesses and they said that they wanted to do a trial on you, would you say yes or no.

Bear in mind that life is probably dire for those on this island with such illnesses and I would doubt, good health care or social welfare.

Personally I cannot see anything wrong with this, OR am I missing something important???

I see now.............................

Whether this drug will get rid of malaria on the islands once and for all remains to be seen.

Either way, the lessons learnt from our studies are likely to have an impact far beyond the remote Bijagos Islands.

Biological warfare.

It would be revealing to see who is really funding the research.

WOW.

This old lass is now at a point in her life where she takes

daily doses of several medicines. I have no idea of who 'researched' these drugs,who was behind them. Or who they were tested on during trials.

I know there can be side effects..... but they work for me!

I have not got a clue as to what the fuss is about concerning this island, it's tropical, it would seem they have awful tropical diseases... Is anyone telling me that the people of this island are content with these illnesses????

Not a conspiracy theory, Chancer, but what would your and others' feelings have been if the article had read:

"

Could these beautiful islands help stop killer diseases?

Travellers to the remote Scottish islands of

the Hebrides can expect to find a paradise of windswept beaches and wild fauna.

But the islands are not just beautiful. They

are also a natural laboratory, providing a unique setting in which to study

cures for some of the modern world's killer diseases.

………………………………………………………etc ……………..

A natural laboratory

Medical researchers have been working on the Hebrides  for several years to see if they can get rid

of certain diseases from certain islands.

The reason that the islands work so well as a natural laboratory is their

remoteness.

While this makes some everyday activities difficult, it is a helpful feature

when trying to eradicate disease.

etc……….................................................................

Diabetes

In this trial, all the islands will be given the standard control tools,

such as exercise equipment. Some, the "intervention" islands, will

also be given Insulin. Others, the "control" islands, will not.

……………………etc.

the lessons learnt from our studies are likely to have an impact far beyond the

Hebrides.

…………….etc

On the islands, trials can be done more quickly, with greater control and

accuracy. We can see what the effects are in a defined area, reaching an entire

population."

Maybe it's just me, but I think that even though these people live in Guinea, they should not be treated as laboratory animals without their knowledge.

Mmm isnt that pushing cynicism a little far. It appears that the diseases effect lots of areas already.

This researcher mentioned in the piece doesn't seem to be a rampant warmonger Indeed she seems to get funds from the MRC.

Ethics approval will have been obtained and presumably the aim is to help the people there - not leave them to rot.

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/aboutus/people/last.anna

[quote user="richard51"]Mmm isnt that pushing cynicism a little far. It appears that the diseases effect lots of areas already.

This researcher mentioned in the piece doesn't seem to be a rampant warmonger Indeed she seems to get funds from the MRC.

Ethics approval will have been obtained and presumably the aim is to help the people there - not leave them to rot.

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/aboutus/people/last.anna[/quote]

Doesn't experimenting on people without their knowledge or consent, however noble the motives, bother you?

Just what authority approves ethics, please? Is there a form to fill out somewhere?

Also, I didn't suggest anything about warmongers.

Warmongering was referring to Chancers suggestion - my post sort of overlapped with your last post.

If you thought that the draft Brexit paper was hard going then getting ethical approval is even more paperwork - I think some people make careers out of the subject. This gives some advice.

https://www.hra.nhs.uk/about-us/committees-and-services/res-and-recs/

And as for giving radioactive materials to people in research then google ARSAC.

NB it does bother me, but there are safeguards.

During an interview for a post in a medical research place I was asked if I objected to research on animals.

My answer was no as long as it was justified and there no cruelty to them. Got the post and got the impression that if the answer was no, period then further questions would have been asked.