next British PM

mint

Just chucking this out there, but don't we have a form of proportional representation for EU elections? In which case, be very careful what you wish for. One of the few consolations under the current system would be to see Farage fail to get elected for an eighth time. I'd rather that than a hung parliament with his "party" holding the balance of power.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally, it tends to be a bigger problem for those whose party didn't win. Strangely, the party in power (whoever) never seem to want to address it.

Still, it seems we may well be in for an increasing number of hung parliaments going forward. Maybe that will encourage a consensus for change.

Its a problem for the partIES that lost because of system. The partY with power is rarely elected with the majority of the voters, yet can have a "sweeping mandate".

The current system does not encourage consensus. I really find it strange that people cant accept that obvious point.

The two party system may have "worked" years ago but over recent years definitely not.

WB and I appear to have totally opposed views, yet if there was a proportional system I'm sure there would be more agreement than disagreement.

Main difference is that I don't think that there is a god of money.

Dickduck, too much proportional representation leads to horrific coalitions and narrow interests having too much power. Just look at the looney, religous right in Israel or the electoral chaos in Belgium.

In Britain there has been little extremism. Can you think of any apart from JC?

The Rest of the World. It went to a penalty shootout.

Nicky Byrne was excellent in goal, saving 3 England penalties.

I hate football...even charity matches. But I would have watched paint dry before I'd switch to that debate...

I watched the debate, found it riveting.

My dislike of Dominic Raab was confirmed, so bombastic. Jeremy Hunt came across well. Sajid Javid seemed to lose his thread occasionally. Rory Stewart gave his usual sensible answers, apart from when he really stressed his frailty when each was asked about their weaknesses. Michael Gove was the big I-am on everything.

[quote user=" YCCMB"]

I hate football...even charity matches. But I would have watched paint dry before I'd switch to that debate...[/quote]
and

[quote user="woolybanana"]Bit like the forum, then when certain people are posting!?[/quote]

Here's something for Tuesday evening for you both to while away the time. 

Well actually, I am looking forward to watching paint dry, I am currently watching, with impatience, fresh plaster dry.  I know I could use a product to paint it pre it being dry, but don't want to, tomorrow or Wednesday...... and I am looking forward to it.

I have not watched the debates...... sick of the lot of them.

Should it be so few deciding, well, hasn't that always been the case???? I don't mind our system, and don't fancy another.

Like you, id, I have not watched and, like you, I am sick of the lot of them and find them all equally nauseating[+o(]

As to numbers, yes, it's true that turnout at elections is shamefully low BUT 150 000 ish voting for something affecting 66 ish million?  [:-))]

[quote user="mint"]
Like you, id, I have not watched and, like you, I am sick of the lot of them and find them all equally nauseating[+o(]

As to numbers, yes, it's true that turnout at elections is shamefully low BUT 150 000 ish voting for something affecting 66 ish million?  [:-))]

[/quote]

At least there wasn't an unseemly rush to join the Tories as so many were fleeced into doing when Corbyn was elected by the Labour Party's "members"...many of whom only joined to vote. And let's not forget it's only been five years since Labour finally stopped allowing Union leaders to vote "on behalf " of millions of their members, whether they agreed with that vote or not.

Frankly, it's like voting for the Head Girl or Head Boy. It'll ultimately look good on their CV, but as Woolly says, they're not a President, just head of their party.

There does seem to be a growing problem of electoral fraud which needs watching.

The Peterborough by election seems to have attracted a number of complaints to the electoral commission.

My guess is that the next general election will be very dirty indeed, particularly in marginal seats.

Goodness, for the money-praying people currently posting:

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/in-israel-with-netanyahu-at-her-side-miriam-adelson-places-her-bet-for-2024-1.7376446

Look who the Israeli/evangelical christian(? ) finance able person is backing - the South Carolina clapperboard evangelical Indian "immigrant" who thinks more of her career.

Was probably very sexy in the clothes she promoted and who opened her legs to a butch South Carolina guy - I've been there (South Carolina not between the legs) and its endemic - especially with the confederate people (a......s) who are totally racist.

Bizarre how Harretz are saying that Jews are leaving South Africa, not because of so-callled antisemitism' but because they now dont have the advantage of being white.

Even more bizarre - but perhaps par for the course - they are returning to racist Israel.

Boris will be "same as". Rory I dont know.