Any rights at all as a live-in partner?

Jacquiec

My boyfriend has bought a house in the Cher region. He has children from previous relationships whom he has not seen for years due to pressure from the mothers. He wants me to inherit the house if he dies. We do not currently live in France.

Is there anything at all we can do to arrange this - reading the forum, I think not!

Also, his ex-wife (divorced for years) is mentioned on the title deeds - will she receive anything?

Thanks in advance.

LAST EDITED ON 23-Mar-04 AT 10:59 AM (GMT)

If I were you and couldn't speak much French (I don't but you might be fluent, I don't know) I would contact one of the solicitors advertising in LF magazine most of whom are based in the UK. Some of them are also properly qualified in French law.

If your notaire speaks fluent English (and you can't speak much French) this would be a bonus and you can talk directly with them. French law and inheritance for children is reasonably simple, all children have rights of inheritance other than that I don't have a clue. Many opions can be found on this site but at the end of the day none of us are experts (to my knowledge) so get proffesional advice before the final contract is signed. To change it after is very expencive.

Good luck

Chris

I may be 'blue' but I am not an authorative on this subject.

LAST EDITED ON 24-Mar-04 AT 04:08 PM (GMT)

he will not be able to disinherit his children, but his previous partner would not automatically get anything (unless he chose to do so). You yourself would receive nothing unless you have signed a PACS and even here he will still need to make a will. A PACS would also enable you to remain in and/or retain use of the property.

However, in spite of all this his ex still seems to have some claim over the property (one assumes 50/50) as this is the default situation, unless there is some UK settlement that has already covered this. This means that you could end up with full usuage right of a property that is part owned by his ex. Interesting situation !

As suggested you need to get proper legal advice and see a notaire.

regs

Richard

• 3 months later...