changing marital status

Evianers

Before we actually go and live in France, we would like to change our marital status to avoid paying CGT on the death of one of the partners. We have seen an exorbitant sum, through a notaire of 750 ca. Does anyone please have any other less expensive ideas? TIA

Can't help you I am afraid. 750 is only in the region of 500 so I don't think that is dear. Think how much you will save in the long run! Normally it is done the day you buy a property. We had something signed the day we purchased here. It was the first purchse after we married. Means his daughter can't chuck me out the day of the funeral. Or mine him!

I will ask my husband when he comes in. Failing that I have a RDV with the Notaire on Monday - yes, another house - and I will ask him.

I do know that when my in-laws changed their regime some years ago there was nothing but trouble from one of his sisters who didn't agree to the change. Fortunately, the Judge went on the wishes of the majority. Meant she couldn't chuck her Mother out and claim her inheritance.....

Evianers,

For your info, we have just been faxed the amount for change of our marriage regime to CU, 290. Bear in mind that this price is for doing it at the time of buying and not after where it would probably cost a bit more. So not too bad really. Roll on Fri 13th!!

Regards,

Bob