Opening links in forum

Cat

I've noticed that internet links inserted into forum posts actually open using the same browser window, taking me away from the Living France forums [:'(]  With the old software the Living France browser window stayed open and the links were opened in a new browser window.

Is this deliberate, or is it something that could easily be rectified?

Cathy, I am glad you have raised this point as I had also noticed it. However, it does great stranger as some links open the same browser and some open a new browser. It would be far better if it always opened a new browser as I often like to look at them when I have finished reading all the topic.

Baz

[quote user="Baz"]

James, it is strange in your test that the sites in the main body of your message use the same browser, whilst the sites below Forum Admin open a new browser.

Baz

[/quote]

Yes, I noticed that my sig has coding in it (target=_blank) to call a new window, not sure if I put it there or whether it was just imported to the new software like that. The developer is looking at solving this for all links at the moment.

James

James, there appears to be no progress in the new window situation as it is still continuing today. In the topic "Winfix" to be found here http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/599000/ShowPost.aspx (this also doesn't open a new window) the problem exists in  Deimos response where a hyperlink has been entered. I hope the developer can solve this problem sooner rather than later.

Baz

For info, the link in the mentioned “Winfix” post was done

using the standard “insert hyperlink” button in the post editor.  What I actually did was to type the text in

Word, cut and paste the entire thing into the “post editor”, then use the “hyperlink”

button to “convert” the link to a true link rather than text (by cutting and

pasting the link into the box displayed when pressing the hyperlink button.

Don’t know if that helps

Ian (Deimos)

Ian, the method you used is the same as I always do. There is problem in the programme used on this site and James is aware of it and is trying to get a fix. The strange thing is that some hyperlinks were working properly and this may be causing  the developer an added problem. If this cannot be corrected then posting hyperlinks is a waste of time and then copy and paste into a new window will have to be alternative.

Baz

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Forum Admin"]

Yes, not sure if the developer has had a chnace to look at this as yet, but in the meantime the post you spoke about I have edited to bring in a new window.

James

[/quote]

James, I was wondering whether the developer has had a chance to look at the hyperlink problem as it continues to be so frustrating when you realise that you have moved totally out of the forum site. I really cannot imagine that it would be too difficult to fix, but if this is not the case then removing the facility all together might be best so at least one will remember to copy and paste.

On a personal note, I would like to thank everyone involved on producing this new site as overall it is far better and speedier. The only small further point, it would be so much better if there was the ability to "mark all as read."

Baz 

[quote user="Ssc"]

If yoiu right click the link it should bring up a box with option. Choose the 'open linkl in new window' Viola.

Tony

[/quote]

Tony, you learn something every day, thanks for that information. Hopefully they will get it working correctly sometime.

Baz