Strange forum behaviour

Clarkkent

In the "Travelling to/from France" I entered a comment and immediately decided that to make it clearer it needed slight modification. After editing and reposting the entry I noted that a new post - not an edited post - had been entered. When I tried to delete the first posting - which did not adequately reflect what I wanted to say - I found that the time available to do this had expired and that I should seek permission from the moderators. The time involved was less than a couple of minutes.

What conceivable benefit to the forum is provided by refusing the opportunity for second thoughts?

This is all very strange.

Someone else posted before that they had tried to delete their message, but had missed a 5 minute time allowance for doing so, yet i'm fairly sure I deleted one after much longer than that time, after filling in a little box that said 'why do you want to delete this post?'.

There was once a very silly woman who destroyed a thread with a lot of useful information in it by deleting every single one of her posts, but that is the only time I saw the function  'abused'.

I suppose if we can't have 'delete' we will just have to edit out the unwanted message and leave a full stop, which will leave everyone wondering...

I have found on one occasion that I could not delete a post

but could edit it.  So I edited it then

deleted it without problems.  I suspect

that the delete timer is reset when editing a post (strange behaviour in

itself).  Thus if you want to delete a

post but cannot, try editing it then try deleting it and you might succeed.

Ian

I have checked the settings for editing on the forum software.

You should be able to edit any of your posts as there is currently not a time limit on editing.

There is a difference between editing and deleting. I was under the impression that you couldn't delete a post entirely but could edit it to remove the message...if you would like it deleted email me and I will do it.

Hope this helps.

James

[quote

user="Forum Admin"]

I was under the impression that you couldn't delete a post entirely but

could edit it to remove the message...if you would like it deleted email me and

I will do it.

Hope this helps.

James

[/quote]

I have certainly totally deleted a post before.  I think there is a very short time limit on

it as I tried a few minutes after making a post and it refused.  So I then edited it to e.g. “Post deleted by

author” and after editing it immediately pressed the delete button and it then

deleted OK.

Ian

Oh, OK...I didn't realise as I am using admin rights so I see different buttons. I guess this is the button you see:

I have checked the system and I can't see any control over this for users so it must be a set time limit from posting, hence if you edit you can then delete.

The edit function is currently set with no time limit.

James