Inheriting property

scaries

As TU says, you need proper legal or financial advice. Although there are the odd exemptions (like, I think, insurance policies under certain circumstances) French law says that if you live in France then all worldwide assets are subject to French law. If you are resident elsewhere then property in France still has to come under French law. Even if you think you aren't resident, the authorities might disagree because France has different residence qualifications from UK. Do get proper advice.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote]I'm not qualified to give a legal opinion but it seem that the best thing would be to adopt the children so they are, as far as French law is concerned, children of your present marriage. This can be ...[/quote]

Will,

Hi! I've been trying to get some info on the 'adoption route for some time.  We never had time to talk to our Notaire at time of signing last month but he said to write to him with our situation.  Needless to say we have not yet written, and as we will be there in a few weeks it will have to wait 'till then.

You mention about the kid's natural father having property in France causing a problem (I know it no longer does for you), we may be in this boat, I'm not actually sure if he owns it, I think it may be his new wife's. Do we need written permission from natural parents? What if one of the parents cannot be found?

Don't know if you are able to answer those questions, is there a realistic prospect of following this route?

Is there really no one else out there that's been/going down this road of adopting each others kids to overcome inheritance rules?

Regards,

Bob

[quote]Will, Hi! I've been trying to get some info on the 'adoption route for some time. We never had time to talk to our Notaire at time of signing last month but he said to write to him with our situatio...[/quote]

I had a disscussion about this with our notaire it is possible to adopt your partners children however our notaite said that first you had to become French citizens before you could adopt and that it is a lengthy process