Notaire's fees seem a tad steep !!

Linden Arden

Just gearing up to the compromis de vente for a house in Haute Viene (87).

Had the first meeting with the notaire's assistant today to get the list of stuff I need for the compromis meeting, so I asked how much the notaire's fees would be (he does immobilier work as well I think but not on my property) and she said "a maximum of 7,000 euro" on a purchase price of 107,000 for a town house.

Does this seem a reasonable amount ??

Unfortunately, yes, it looks to be in the right area.

It's vaguely around 7% of purchase price, with the exact amount depending on the day of the week, the average number of lorry drivers and fishermen on strike per day over the previous 3 months, the price of shares in Lidl, and whether Madame Notaire spread Monsieur Notaire's tartine to his satisfaction at breakfast on the day.

I assume that you aren't having a French mortgage. Without a mortgage I would expect you to be charged about €7500, with a mortgage nearer €9000. The charges may seem a bit steep, but when the French talk about the Frais Notaire they include the many and varied stamp duties, in your case about €5000, which Brits tend to think of separately.

Sounds about right. When you eventually see how many people have had a slice of the cake, you'll see that they're not notaires fees at all, but duties and taxes. And with a little bit of luck, you'll get a small cheque back for unspent funds.