Copyright

I go by the forum Code of Conduct, which states:

Users must not post messages which:

• Infringe intellectual property rights

• Transmit any material that you don't have the right to transmit under law (such as copyright or trade secrets)

If you have any doubt about any material you want to share, you can ask the forum Administrator for guidance.

Generally and personally speaking, I link to articles to avoid any problems.

Tag is correct. Quoting is not infringing intellectual property rights. It is perfectly acceptable provided it does not constitute a major proportion of the material concerned and is properly acknowledged. I believe no figure is generally given as it would be nonsensical to restrict the quoting of a one-line epigram to 10% of the total length.

The academic world would be in trouble otherwise, were quoting not allowed.

Plagiarism, or the publication of material to which one does not have unassigned publishing rights is, of course, unacceptable.

Some sites may well say "if you copy material, please quote the source" or something among these lines, but in the instance of the BBC, it clearly says that

"... you may only download the content for your own personal non-commercial use.

Except where expressly stated otherwise, you are not

permitted to copy
, broadcast, download, store (in any medium),

transmit, show or play in public, adapt or change in any way the

content of these BBC web pages for any other purpose whatsoever without

the prior written permission of the BBC
."

This is a fairly standard text and I have seen similar restrictions on the websites of all the newspapers I read online.

[quote user="Dick Smith"] Plagiarism, or the publication of material to which one does not have unassigned publishing rights is, of course, unacceptable.
[/quote]

... unless you are drawing up a document to prove that Saddam has weapons of mass destruction....

Yes, Clair, but there is a difference between downloading (and including in another document) a whole web document and quoting from it. Which is, I reiterate, allowed. In fact in most university (and school) photocopying rooms nowadays there is a little digest of the rules. Which are pretty muchas Tag and I have stated - and we both have reason to know.

It's interesting as well that every BBC article I read offers me the option of a printable version...