Open with Firefox but not Internet Explorer I8

WJT

Hi, I have been having computer problems for a long while now and have not been able to log on. I now seem to be able to access the forum but only through Mozilla Firefox. Does anyone know why the forum is not accesssable through Internet Explorer I8?

[quote user="WJT"]Does anyone know why the forum is not accesssable through Internet Explorer I8?[/quote]

It seems OK to me ... I usually use FF but have opened up with IE8 just to see.

Though I must add that even with FF the forum has been a bit slow lately.

As an experiment I will now try a smilie, as I haven't been able to do those for a while with FF.

Sue [:)]

Edit: Gosh I might have to use IE8 with the forum as it lets me smile again ... [:)][:)] ... yoohoo!!

Theiere, I just tried it through google and I am able to access, thank you for the suggestion. I did have to sign in again (using an email address I stopped using three years ago!) but it works.

I am having all sorts of computer problems, just had someone wipe everything off last week and am now starting over. It is strange though now some of the keys are mixed up and I can't use for example the pound sign key or accents for your name, Theiere.[blink]

Glad your smiling again Sue, that is another reason I don't like using Firefox, that and no ispell.[:)]

[quote user="WJT"]

It is strange though now some of the keys are mixed up and I can't use for example the pound sign key or accents for your name, Theiere.[blink] [/quote]

Assuming you are using XP do you usually have FR or EN on the language part of the bottom-of-the-page toolbar near the clock? What does it say at the moment?

Thank you Sue, I am using XP the one that came with the Dell computer and on the Dell disk and it is the English version. Having said that it is the same one that has been on the computer for years but we just had it reloaded last week. Strangely though I have been on the site through IE8 since. [8-)] There is nothing like you describe for FR or EN on the of the bottom of the page toolbar near the clock. I have loaded Open Office and then loaded Works the other day, perhaps it is related to the problem.

It definitely sounds like your keyboard is set to the wrong language -- probably English (American) . Go to Regional & Language Options in Control Panel and use the Keyboards & Languages tab to check and change to English (United Kingdom) if necessary.

While you're at it you might want to check your Formats, Location and Administrative tabs are also set correctly. In fact I just changed my Location to France.

Thank you Albert. I just did as you suggested and it is set for British English. It is strange it's not only that the the pound and accent keys don't work but some are mixed up. For example the @ key is actually the " key and vice versa. A complete mystery. [8-)]

WJT,

I'm puzzled about what you mean by the "accent keys". Are these keys with accented characters (e.g. é) marked on them or do you need to use some sort of combination (e.g [Alt Gr] & E gives é)? Also, where on your keyboard are the £, " and @ keys? on mine they are:

£ = Shift 3

" = Shift 2

@ = Shift ' (Single quote -- 2 keys to the right of L)

Just wondering if you have a non-standard keyboard -- The @ and " are swapped on a Mac keyboard compared to a PC one.

Albert, sorry, I do not have an accent key [:$], you are right I was referring to for example e with an accent I would normally use control alt and e, but it doesn't work now. The pound key, shift 3 doesn't work at all either. The switch with the @ and " is as you say the @ is 2 keys to the right of L but now shows ". The " is shift 2 but shows @.

The keyboard is the original Dell one that came with the Dell PC approximately 4 years ago.

[quote user="WJT"]Thank you Albert. I just did as you suggested and it is set for British English. It is strange it's not only that the the pound and accent keys don't work but some are mixed up. For example the @ key is actually the " key and vice versa. A complete mystery. [8-)]
[/quote]

Thats a US keyboard layout, suggest you check that.

Theiere, I have tried to check to see if the keyboard when the driver was reloaded last week somehow was changed to a US one, but can't see how to check.

Albert, the keys are exactly as you described, so I think my keyboard is the same as yours. I think I muddled up my response to you. The arabas key @ is 2 keys to the right of the L key. It has just suddenly switched with the " key that is the shift 2 key.

Bugsy, my keyboard shows the number 2 is also the " but suddenly it has been swapped with the @. The Euro symbol on my keyboard is shown on the lower right of the 4 key that also shows the $. The $ sign works but the Euro sign no longer works by using control alt and the number 4 key. Hope that makes sense.[8-)]

The man that came out to sort the problem was a mac man so perhaps it is his fault![:)]

WJT,

That all makes more sense now. You appear to have a US keyboad driver set up. In Control Panel >> Regional & Language Options >> Keyboards & Languages click on Change Keyboard. The Default Input Language drop-down should show English (United Kingdom) - United Kingdom. The Installed Services box should show three lines linked together: English (United Kingdom) ... Keyboard ... United Kingdom.

Let me know what you find.

If not, try clicking the down-arow to see if there are other options and pick English (United Kingdom) - United Kingdom if it is available.

Hi Albert, thank you. I did as you suggested, I went into control panel and then Regional, Languages options. United Kingdom English was already used. I did click on advanced and scrolled down and ticked United Kingdom English with Euro. The computer needed restarting but unfortunately it didn't work. Very strange, if possible I will try to delete and reload the keyboard somehow tomorrow.

Thank you again. By the way, I am now and have been the last few times able to enter and post on the forum with Internet Explorer. [8-)]

I can't check this as I no longer own a Windows PC, but its worth looking in Device Manager - Keyboard to check what keyboard is shown. From memory it should be Standard 101/102 keyboard.

You could also check that the "Character Map" hasn't been changed, Start/Programs - Accessories - System Tools.

Character Map let's you assign

certain values to keys and key combinations.

Worth a look WJT.

Thank you both. I might just leave it because I think I may do something wrong. The biggest problem is not being able to use the pound and euro signs but I think I can live with it.

Bugsy, I did as you suggested and the keyboard in device manager only shows one option and it is HID Keyboard Device. I had a look at the Character Map and to be honest I wouldn't know if it was right or not. [:$] Thank you very much again for the help.