Shooting Stars in your skys

Iceni

Well light polution and cloud could spoil it.

Apart from Venus which is quite a show just before dawn in the East (yup- you guessed it, I am not a good sleeper) there are some fireworks on their annual way.

Details from BBC Science and Nature site:
Meteor showers
One 'shooting star' shower always guaranteed to please is the Perseids. At the peak you may be able to see (with a good dark horizon) a maximum of around 80 meteors an hour - that's a lot of wishes! The display happens in the early morning hours of the 13th. With the Moon almost new, this leaves the sky nicely dark to see the fainter 'shooting stars'.
-----------------------------

August is a good month to see shooting stars at any time the sky is clear and I see at least one a night at the moment. The milky way is also very clear. We live in one of the least light polluted areas of France (rural northern Lot) but if you can get away from streetlights the show should be good.

Di
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

In a good year the Perseids are spectacular - 2002 was excellent, some even leaving contrails, but as I recall 2003 was cloudy and I was in London, so far too much light pollution. Binoculars can be useful and help you see the starfields behind.

Regards

Dick
BONO ANIMO ES

Have just been lying on our sunbeds here (11) counting shooting stars, about 15 in an hour, and tonight and tomorrow 12/13 are expected to be better, from 10.30pm French time. Saw a spectacular one, north south, with long blue tail, best I have ever seen and we watch out for these every year, this year is expected to be a very good year. So get out there, lie back, think of France and enjoy..............