Rumblings of discontent!!!!

zeb

Have just returned home after emergency surgery and enforced stay in nearest large hospital.

The medical care and treatment were excellent, hospital staff attentive, facilities (hospital had old and new parts) superb, latest technology, no waiting about on a trolley, surgeon looked as if he had rushed straight from the beach, everywhere clean and sparkling, not sure about the food - didn't get much - but you get my drift.......well worth the top-up.

Downside......

1)anethetist yelled at me that all English in France should speak French (by her tone I presume she meant fluently) as I didn't understand her when she asked me to swallow. Bad start as I was in great pain and couldn't stop vomiting.

2) infirmrie freaked out when some blood was spilt on to her uniform as all English are CJD carriers! All staff wore latex after that.

3) Room mate grumbled with staff about how living in France was "tres bon" for the English but "tres mal" for the French (and for France). In fact lots of grumbling about the English (high house prices, life of luxury, don't bother to learn the language or contribute anything, drink like fish, oh and hate hunters etc etc)until she realised when I had come round properly that I understood everything she was saying.

4) Whilst waiting to be collected from my room the bed was stripped and mattress and pillows removed for "decontamination" - CJD again I suspect (this hadn't happened the previous day when room mate checked out). Obviously the room was thoroughly cleaned and disinfected but I really felt that the staff were taking it a bit far and "making a point".

Anyone else had their rose tinted specs knocked off recently??

regards.....helen (sore but getting there......)

Well, I hope you are on the mend.

Spent a few hours with hubbie recently in a large hospital, we had a good experience but I did feel that because husband he sounds like a native when he speaks french we were treated with respect and with a bit of curiosity! English and you speak the language 'it can't be'!

I do know what you mean though, I do get this feeling of oh my god more English. I try to be very discreet about where we live as I know I sometimes get cool reactions from the french.

In the French's defence though, alot of the properties here are now being obtained by English (we were ones too) and I can see their frustration. However, us English do spend an awful lot in the region and the Bricos and restaurants are full of people spending their hard earned dosh, not to mention all the local builders/plumbers/electricians etc who benefit.

This is I believe is just one battle.

Deby

Poor you Helen, hope you are feeling much better now and your mental scars are healing along with the physical ones.

There is nothing worse than being made to feel even more vulnerable in a situation where you are already scared.

Lets hope their attitude isnt contagious!

All the best.

Carole (87)

Hi Helen

So sorry to hear that you have been unwell and hope that you are making a speedy recovery. We have, fortunately, only encountered mild amusement at the fact that we are English, live here permanently, and speak French! When we visited our elderly neighbour in hospital she was very proud of her Englsh neighbours, showing us off to her room-mate and the doctors and infirmieres were interested to compare notes with how the NHS worked in UK.

We too find that there are an increasing number of English immigrants who don't even attempt to speak French and bring their English ways with them, whereas before we always felt that the English who lived here permanently were self-selected nice guys!? Lets hope that French ways rub off on them before they turn too many locals against us all.

John and Angie Moore (17)

Sorry to hear your sad tale; hope you're on the mend and will soon be able to get back out in the garden.
While I was well treated in hospital, and most people probably are, I have witnessed scenes similar to those you describe involving French people (in French hospitals) - and, in the cases of elderly people, worse.

>Have just returned home after emergency
>surgery and enforced stay in
>nearest large hospital.
>
>The medical care and treatment were
>excellent, hospital staff attentive, facilities
>(hospital had old and new
>parts) superb, latest technology, no
>waiting about on a trolley,
>surgeon looked as if he
>had rushed straight from the
>beach, everywhere clean and sparkling,
>not sure about the food
>- didn't get much -
>but you get my drift.......well
>worth the top-up.
>
>Downside......
>
>1)anethetist yelled at me that all
>English in France should speak
>French (by her tone I
>presume she meant fluently) as
>I didn't understand her when
>she asked me to swallow.
>Bad start as I was
>in great pain and couldn't
>stop vomiting.
>
>2) infirmrie freaked out when some
>blood was spilt on to
>her uniform as all English
>are CJD carriers! All staff
>wore latex after that.
>
>3) Room mate grumbled with staff
>about how living in France
>was "tres bon" for the
>English but "tres mal" for
>the French (and for France).
>In fact lots of grumbling
>about the English (high house
>prices, life of luxury, don't
>bother to learn the language
>or contribute anything, drink like
>fish, oh and hate hunters
>etc etc)until she realised when
>I had come round properly
>that I understood everything she
>was saying.
>
>4) Whilst waiting to be collected
>from my room the bed
>was stripped and mattress and
>pillows removed for "decontamination" -
>CJD again I suspect (this
>hadn't happened the previous day
>when room mate checked out).
>Obviously the room was thoroughly
>cleaned and disinfected but I
>really felt that the staff
>were taking it a bit
>far and "making a point".
>
>
>Anyone else had their rose tinted
>specs knocked off recently??
>
>regards.....helen (sore but getting there......)
>
>
>

OOPs dont know what happened but my reply has been posted under another user.
Anyway ignoring that it is interesting to hear that others have had rose tinted specs knocked off, and I am so sorry to hear that they have had similar experiences and hope things have improved.
We have lived in France for 14 years but have never received such aggression fron doctors as in last few months. I was in tears after a visit today. Apart from the medical asssessment being inconclusive the doctor and receptionist were very rude. The carte vitale was refused and no receipt was issued.
I have experienced a lot in France but todays episode even after 14 years did give me thoughts of packing the bags and heading for Spain