My husband and myself are in the begining stages or researching about france.

We are looking to move over to france in around 2 years.

I think we are looking to owning a gite or b+b and/or maybe a campsite.

Do any of you have expierence with these?

Any info on any aspect of relocating to France would be fab.

Thank you.

Hi April.

Welcome to the forum.  The general feel though in France at the moment is that there are too many gites and not enough clients.  Have a search through and you'll get the general idea.

I do wish you luck though, we've been very happy since arriving here permanently.

Sorry to have sounded negative April.  But moving to France is still a great idea.  We struggle, but we'd much rather struggle here than back in the UK.

We've only been here since March, but there is nothing so far that we miss, not even friends as we have made so many (French and English) here already.  In fact our social life is more hectic than it ever was in London.

Still wishing you luck

Annabell

Thanks Annabell.

Didn't sound negative at all.

We've just been having such a rubbish time in the uk for pretty much all ours lives and feel we need to make a new start some where else and away from here.

We have been together for nearly 8 years and it's taken this long to realise we'd be much happier out of this country.

Ooops!

We are not sure on areas yet, but will be taking several holidays to help us decide which area we get the best feel from.

My french isn't great, I only know the basics but we will be taking lessons. Hence why we've given ourselves 2 years to help research France and the language.

Any advice on any thing would be great, we just don't know where to start!

Hi,

Most of this advice will sound dead time-consuming and boring but it is necessary.

1. Spend as many hours as you have reading this Forum, especially the archives - with particular reference to the "Owning French Property", "Legal", "Finance", "Heath" and "Vehicles" forums. All the important questions (such as how to cover yourself for health care, how to re-register a UK car) have been answered many times - it's just a case of fnding the information and making notes. Equally, hours of patient browsing through The Postbag will allow you to find many useful pieces of information such as different people's views on the Cost of Living in France and much, much more. The Gites and B & B forums contain a wealth of info on the costs of running & setting up in business.

2. Buy and read David Hampshire's book, "Living and Working In France".

3. Go to French evening classes before you come.

4. Start saving now - you will need a substantial amount in the bank (after purchasing and renovating your property) to see you through until you get work and this could be many years.