Sunday opening for petrol stations?

CeeJay

We are travelling over to Calais next Sunday and onwards to 34 and normally we travel on a week day and fill up with diesel at Carrefour in the town or the garage just off Junction 3, does anyone know if either of these two places are open on Sundays or, indeed, Cite Europe?

Cite Europe isn't open on Sundays.  Not much is apart from boulangeries (stuffing a croissant in your tank won't make it go, unfortunately!)

Petrol stations such as Total should be open on Sundays, and those on motorways are.  Supermarkets ones aren't (apart from a handful that may be open in the mornings), but you can pay at the pump with a credit card, but you need a chip in it for that to work.

Hope this helps.

Nathalie

There is a big petrol station/truck stop, just off one of the first main roundabouts in calais if you travel over by ferry. Usually open 24 hours a day takes all cards. Near the discount beer and wine outlets, Eastenders and such.

Otherwise fill up in UK, with minor top up on motorway if necessary. There is little to choose between UK/French petrol prices, especially on French motorways, though diesel is cheaper in france

Bob

Thanks for that as well, however as I wrote in the initial question I am travelling down to 34 which is about 1000 Kms from Calais so the odd refill on the Autoroutes is not an option after filling up with very expensive English diesel. It is necessary for me to guage the requirement from Bristol to Dover fairly accurately and then top up completely at Calais, luckily my 807 can take 80litres so we can get a fair way down and then turn off to pick up more at one of the supermarkets.

When I was over a few weeks ago I was surprised to find that in some establishments the card readers were set up to read the Chip and Pin cards that are coming into use in the UK. Coverage seems patchy but one hotel told me that new machines were set up for the UK cards.

Has anyone yet come across any filling stations where the UK cards can be used?

Best Regards

Alan.