Varicose vein moles

Weedon

I appear to have a new species of mole on my land.  I have just about lost my paranoia with the old species which used to leave heaps of sifted soil on the surface but these new ones tunnel just below the surface leaving varicose vein lookalike ridges on the surface of my grass and I have to go stomping around my 2 acres every morning trying to flatten it again. Mad, me, not arf, innit.

Weedon(53)

Dear Weedon (any relation to Burt?) - the moles you describe are the ver' rare racing moles, much sought after by certain French gamblers in days gone by.  I have recently discovered a new mole species in my jardin - the Edmund Hilary Mole which seems intent on transforming my garden into a working model of the Himalayas - with some taupinieres over 30cm tall (without a snow topping as yet!).  

In spring my moles all emerged and dug their galleries all over the orchard leaving huge mounds.  I am now getting the same varicose veins as you and I think that this is just routine maintenance; hills if any are very small.

Incidentally three years ago I bought a solar powered mole scarer for the lawn which seemed to work well but this year the lawn is completely undermined and it seems that condensation has got in and it no longer works.

Has anyone else had experience with these?

Hereford

I too have experienced these in the past and I believe they are the work of the offspring. That statement is based only on the fact that the moles I've caught in these surface channels have been small and not on any special knowledge of mole behaviour so I stand to be corrected. If I am correct then you can look forward to plenty of future activity when the little treasures grow up. On the other hand if you are stamping them down then maybe you will solve the problem anyway. Have you come across any hard to flatten lumps?

Regards

Alan.