paris to poitiers by train

How old is your daughter ? Would she be able to get a taxi - I didn't want to lug a case around the metro and even at my age was concerned about getting the right train on the metro so took the easy option. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it !(about £15 I think)

If she is going from the airport to a major station, perhaps she could get a taxi there?

First off, do check Alcazar's suggestion of the train direct from CDG for some destinations are covered, certainly the Angouleme/Bordeaux line, which we've done often and it's simply marvellous.  We always come in to T1 so have to take a shuttle bus over to the station but there may (not sure) be a passageway link from AF's T2.  For trains, have a look at www.sncf.fr is you haven't already. 

Don't the Poitiers trains go from Montparnasse?  Unless you're doing the ride early on a Sunday morning (little traffic), I'd budget on a bit more for the taxi fare than GBP 15.  I often do the 8th/17th arrondissement borders to CDG, ie easy access to the peripherique, and it's touching Euros 40 out to the airport, even on a good day.  And getting to south city centre Montparnasse is more congested.  Still worth it though for convenience.

M

[quote]First off, do check Alcazar's suggestion of the train direct from CDG for some destinations are covered, certainly the Angouleme/Bordeaux line, which we've done often and it's simply marvellous. We a...[/quote]

The train to Poitiers leaves from Montparnasse and CDG.  The airport is not indicated in the original question and that really does make a considerable difference as to the planning of the trip.  As you leave the terminal at CDG the sign for the shuttle buses is very evident and you just follow the bus symbol until you reach the bus station.  I think the no. for the link to the TGV is 5.

However the bus stop shows the destinations and numbers required to reach the various terminals plus car parks and theTGV.  It takes about 20 mins from the terminal depending on how full it is.  At the TGV station in the main hallway there is an Information desk where the people manning it are able to speak English and will advise you as to what to do.  The huge departure boards indicate the number of the train and from which platform the train will depart.  You have to punch your ticket as you go for the train (vous compostez) and there are small machines as you enter the area above the platform.  Each train coach has a number and the ticket will indicate which one you need.

Apologise if I sound a trifle pedantic but I've had to do a similar trip for our son and have travelled this route myself at least four or five times now.   Might I suggest that if your daughter is worried about the travel it might be preferable to do the changing of trains in the UK and just fly straight into the nearest airport to you.  On the other hand it's valuable experience, this travelling thing, and once done you realise how simple it is.