MOTABILITY CARS - FRANCE?

Has anyone taken their MOTABILITY car with them when going to live permanently  in France.  I understand that DLA can be paid but on a discretionary basis if reason stands up to scrutiny, for example, not just because one prefers the climate (as it helps with painful joints etc)  Any help or advice appreciated.   Loopylurcher

[quote]Has anyone taken their MOTABILITY car with them when going to live permanently in France. I understand that DLA can be paid but on a discretionary basis if reason stands up to scrutiny, for example,...[/quote]

>MOTABILITY car <

Not sure what you mean by this.

Some of us may remember the blue tricycles that were given to disabled people to improve their chances of finding work. When it was realised that the most likely outcome was that they would be killed in a serious road accident, the cars were withdrawn and the Motability scheme was introduced.

Motability is a charity which negotiates with car suppliers to provide a leasing arrangement which allows disabled people to contract hire a vehicle at advantageous fully inclusive rates for a three year period.

The trick is that the person taking on the car uses money from their Disability Living Allowance to pay the lease.

I suppose the problem is that if you permanently leave the UK, unless the DLA was in payment before 1992, then payment will cease which could affect the ability to pay the leasing charge. Also as the scheme includes Road Tax, Maintenance etc, none of  which would be of  use abroad,the cost savings offered by the scheme would be much reduced.

RD Its not that people are getting something for nothing - they have to pay, not as much as a commercial lease I grant you, but I think you comments are misplaced.

In any case there is no road fund in France as such so thats one problem solved.

Maybe its possible to negotiate purchase of the car before leaving the country?

Also RubberDuck, people often move to France because its cheaper for them - hardly 'swanning around'