The Mail - again !

I have a pet theory that journalists who have downshifted to France are cheaper than those who haven't...

Ha - I believe the Mail pay double the amount per word than 'quality' papers !!

It propably is a topic worth exploring but in reality it was just a report of three couples (sad) experience with nothing much in the way of discussion or conclusion, in fact I think we have had more enlightening discussions here.

The Mail has become a real doom and gloom paper, my line of work is constantly 'got at' and the paper changes its views daily, they obviously state its differing journalists views. Stopped getting the Mail On Sunday months ago.

Today in the 'news' section, rather than features, was a piece about a small boy being sent back to the Vendee to live with his father, away from his mother and half siblings. Apparently the judge had no choice as the couple had lived in France for the year preceding their split and in those circumstances French custody laws apply. Of course the father says the boy is going home to his friends and school, but it was certainly something that had never occurred to me before.

Unusually I only saw the Mail today, is it anyone else's paper?

The Mail is successful in England because it follows a broadly "little Englander" policy and will run any story that denigrates "abroad" - especially France and those who live there or hold favourable opinions about the country.

Alistair Campbell (not one of my heroes normally) got it dead right when he said that the Mail upholds some of the less pleasing aspects of human behaviour as "middle class values."

Gay, rest assured it isn't just the Mail.  Up until the autumn of 2002, despite the huge expense of the overseas edition, we used to buy the Sunday Times regularly and I would estimate that every other week there was an article in the homes supplement on buying property in a certain region in France.  In addition, there was Jonathan Miller, former Forum member who, as we know, has personally taken the credit for the recent "rush to buy in France".  However, it was the appearance of an article in the main section on the British invading Guyenne once more that finally prompted us to stop buying this wretched newspaper once and for all, for it was almost word perfect from an article they had published the previous summer. 

So we buy Saturday's Telegraph instead, where that nice young man whose name escapes me writes of life in the Limousin each week!  They're everywhere...

Margaret