The French are in Yorkshire!

TrishT

Yes they are!  There is a fantastic french market until Sunday in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.  For those of you not lucky enough to be able to live in France, try to get to this one.  The range of fresh foods for sale is superb, from olives, spices, garlics, wines, cheeses, meats and savouries to provencal kitchenware and you can get crepes and other typical french food to eat al fresco.  I have been today and it was great to be able to use my french with the stallholders who have come from all corners of France.  The market is huge and starts at the Town Hall and down the High Street.  If you can get there you won't be disappointed.

[quote]Yes they are! There is a fantastic french market until Sunday in Sheffield, South Yorkshire. For those of you not lucky enough to be able to live in France, try to get to this one. The range of fre...[/quote]

We used to have them in Christchurch, Dorset before we retired here.

[quote]We are in Kent and have french markets 3 times a year only problem is the fresh french bread they sell is picked up from Tesco on the way[/quote]

> fresh french bread<

Bread baked in France would be inedible by the time it got to market.

[quote]We are in Kent and have french markets 3 times a year only problem is the fresh french bread they sell is picked up from Tesco on the way[/quote]

I believe one of the larger UK supermarkets used to buy the dough fresh from France and "bake" it in house, therefore maybe it still was "fresh" French bread!

Paul

[quote]I believe one of the larger UK supermarkets used to buy the dough fresh from France and "bake" it in house, therefore maybe it still was "fresh" French bread! Paul[/quote]

> therefore maybe it still was "fresh" French bread!<

Perhaps but I'm not sure the dough would 'travel' any better than the bread.

There was a European Market in Nottingham last weekend and my daughter went down and bought Rillettes and Jambon de Bayonne (the latter which came in handy because we were using the last of our Raclette cheese the next day). But I have wondered how they go on about bread. After all, when you are in France, you buy bread for lunch, but you buy fresh again for dinner - at least if you are eating white French bread, anyway - especially baguette. So there was no way it would be fresh if sold over here. So I just pointed out to her not to buy the bread. The thing is, everything is pretty expensive on these markets and if you were to want to buy much stuff from it, you would probably be better off getting a cheap day return to Calais. (Please - soon - no raclette left - more to the point only a couple of bottles of wine left and turning to Argentinian - which is very nice actually, but a bit on the expensive side).

They tried a French market in a market town nearer to where I live last year, but I was talking to one of the charcutiers who said they wouldn't go there again as the people seemed "poor" and were not buying. I wouldn't have said money was the problem though - more a lack of interest in anything foreign.

We also had a 'Continental market' in Derby two weeks ago, which lasted for three days. Unfortunately the weather was very unkind so by the time the third day arrived, lots of stallholders had had enough of the driving rain and chilly winds so had packed up early - can't say I blame them!

The stallholders were mainly French and had a lovely selection of goodies - I bought wine, olives, biscuits and cheese. Two of the cheeses were great but one camembert was obviously very, very ripe - we had to stand it in a corner and apologise to guests for the honk!!!!!! The poor old innocent cat was blamed for 'missing' his litter tray..................!

Prices were high BUT they obviously have to make their trip worthwhile, and if it's not possible for Mohammed to go to the mountain, the mountain must.........etc. I really enjoyed it all, they have a great atmosphere and it's nice to be able to practice my French.    

The local paper ran an article on the Sheffield market and says they bring their own ovens to bake the bread (a lovely photo of the baker from Normandy included).  I went back again for more walnut bread yesterday and also finished up with a fantastic santa claus and sleigh in real french chocolate for my mum!  Gail, I found out they are next in Inverness so sadly a bit too far for you but I think they're advertised in the local press so keep your eyes open.