A double boom

Iceni

Sitting here minding my own business and again it happened - the dreaded 'double boom' roof lifts and comes down again, dogs bark and John and I know our hearts are still in good shape as we are still here.

In the UK the air force or other planes are not allowed to go 'sonic' unless over water, no such rules in France as we are about as far from water as we can get. Ho hum, one day I might get used to it.

I have been assured that unless you hear the 'double boom' it is not a sonic boom - well trust me, this was ruddy sonic.

Sitting here in the foggy Creuse yesterday apres-midi, having lunch with visitors, when the boom went off.   House shudders, fog clears for a nano-instant, squirrel that was happily playing with it's nuts falls from tree, local cows add to global warming effect, visiting baby fills pampers etc etc. What with these invisible boomers and the jet fighters that take great delight in screeching across sunny skies just fifty feet overhead, it is obvious that French pilots go to the same school as French car drivers!

I used to have Concorde take off over my classroom on Tuesday mornings (and I was in Putney, several miles from Heathrow) and if we were talking we had to stop until it got out of earshot. Gorgeous to look at but noisy as hell. Now in France we have two fighter jets screaming overhead every Thursday.

I used to ride on the northern periphery of Heathrow (many many years ago) and we soon got used to Concorde taking off - in fact we knew it was 11am on a Tuesday or Thursday when it happened, so we checked our watches against it (whilst hanging on for dear life, I may add!!!).

Ewa

(still not recovered fully, and flinch at loud noises!!!)