Créosote banned?

Jackie

Difficult to know where to put this question!

Last year a retired expert on the subject suggested to me that a nasty niff of something oily and smelly like creosote might persuade Monsieur Glis glis (Loir) to go and live somewhere else other than between my walls.

I see that there has been some EU directive restricting the use of creosote by DIYers as there are risks associated with skin contact. The result being that I have not seen it on the Brico shelves of late.

The intention had been to drop some creosote soaked objects into the wall spaces to pong the little blighters out. Can anyone suggest where I might still get a small quantity or as an alternative, what oily smelly substance I could use instead. Don't want to use poison for various reasons and trapping, though effective, never catches them all.........Cheers..........John not Jackie

Creosote is very very carcinogenic and has been banned in the UK for years. If you want something to remove glis glis, that is slightly less carcinogenic and still on sale in France, buy mothballs (Naphthalene). They hate the smell as do all sorts of running and flying things. I actually like the smell but have given up sniffing them as I am afraid my nose might fall off

Someone (forgot name) recommended using tumble dryer sheets for this purpose. After reading the post for preventative purposes thought it sounded a good idea. We left them around the house last time we were there, in any case they do smell wonderful, would like to think they work.

Thanks for the information folks. I see that the  BRITISH WOOD PRESERVING & DAMP-PROOFING ASSOCIATION suggest that professionals can still use it for treating fencing in the UK.

I must have a look at an agricultural supplier to see if they still sell it to farmers here in France. Tried mothballs with little benefit. They may have moved the Loir to other parts of the house for a short time as did various medicated sprays but not a permanent solution.

The suggestion of tumble dryer sheets is a new one for me so I will look at that further but my feeling is that I doubt they have a strong enough pong to be effective for long.

Failing finding anything I will have to concoct an evil brew myself. Nothing I have tried has worked yet including ultrasonics..............John

Creosote is very very carcinogenic and has been banned in the UK for years

Actually it was prohibited for 'amateur' use in the UK in 2003 by regulations which implemented the EC Directive.  It can still be used professionally for certain applications.  It is carcinogenic but I'm not sure about the 'very very', but then everything's relative.

The HSE said in it's FAQs:

The EU Scientific committee considered a study, which showed that there was some evidence of creosote causing skin cancer in animals, and as such concluded that there remained a risk to amateur users of creosote.  This recommendation was based on results from a lifetime’s daily skin contact with creosote, so it is highly unlikely that the occasional contact with creosote that an amateur user might have, will be of any significant concern. This action has been taken as a precaution.

The action has been taken because there is a small risk of cancer, identified from repeated daily application of creosote to the skin

Pantouflard, my comments came via a Welsh farmer who has relocated to France. They used to get checked over for creosote as well as other chemicals on standard HSE visits as it was and had been a banned substance for some time (I wanted to source some for later this year for painting the chicken house). If they gave me incorrect advice I appologise but why is beyond me.

Although not ‘banned’ the HSE would expect occupational users to comply with COSHH (which came in in 1989).  The first requirement for hazardous substances is that employers ‘prevent’ exposure eg use something else. Only where that is not  reasonably practicable should they use it with appropriate control measures.  So I suppose, if alternatives were available, creosote should not have been used.  I guess that could be seen as a ‘ban’.  I think an HSE inspector would only have pushed that if there was extensive use leading to significant exposure.

The more common chemical linked with occupation illness on Welsh farms is organophosphates (in sheep dip).