Just been watching 'Reportages'

Alexis

And you're right in that Tourraine French is still the French accent to acquire

And of course the best one to listen to as well. When you have had to tune your ears to the accents of people from Provence, Languedoc, Dordogne and Brittany, the accent (or lack of it à la Surrey English) of the Tourraine is pretty relaxing !!

No offence M about Jane Birkin. I actually learned to play Je t'aime on an electric piano (was going to say organ but whatever way I tried to put it, it sounded pretty iffy !) may not sound much but that is all I can play ! No, not even chopsticks !

As someone said earlier in this thread, sometimes I am totally understood when I speak French and have been told I speak it well.  Other times I just get a blank expression or worse, a screwed up, sucking on a lemon expression that makes me want to thump em because I know they're not even going to try to understand me   I would never be so intolerant of someone trying to speak English and in fact would do my best to help and encourage them, not look at them as if I had something painful stuck up where the sun doesn't shine  

I think having a musical ear helps with mastering an accent and it is not something you can just learn.  You either have it or you don't.