Septic tank smell

Piddy

We are renting an old property in the Gers which has a Fosse Septique, the whereabouts of which are unknown to landlady, helpful long term neighbours etc.

During bad weather (rain-it does sometimes in the South west!) then the house fills with a very unpleasant odour. No amount of conventional septic tank treatments make any difference.

Is there a gas or odour tester available which we can easily and cheaply use to show the landlady that there is a health hazard to us and our young family and that she really needs to get it sorted.

Gas mask to the most helpful answer.

Many thanks

Piddy.

Do you have any pipes coming from the bathroom/kitchen to the exterior walls of the house.  If so, it may be as easy as following these.  Our septic tank was covered over.  It stank.  We uncovered it and had it emptied.  Not pleasant.  When we bought the house it was described as a fosse septique but it wasn't and had just filled up to the point of bursting. Yukkkkk!!!  It shouldn't be that far down you could also go round with a pole and poke it in the ground around the house. Of course it could just be a soak away and when it rains the ground water level rises and brings things up with it!!! The mairie may be able to help.  I believe they arrange to inspect new fosse installations (health and safety and all that) and may know who can come and check it out.  Sorry, don't know what else to suggest.  Good luck.

I think you find that in many cases old fosse systems do not have a vent pipe so that any whiffs have to exit in the place with the least resistance.  If there are no u bends that will simply make it worse.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you a helpful suggestion for you in your talks with the landlord as I only have possible solutions for the problem.  

When people make a permanent move here the contents of the toilet and where it goes very quickly becomes a much discussed topic.

Oh and by the way if you are a smoker don't light up indoors.

weedon