Sudan1 Food Dye

TrishT

Is there a problem with this in France?  Apparently it was put into chilli powder imported from India and is a massive problem in UK as it's carcinogenic.  It's in a lot of McDoo meals and spicy food including bolognese and things you'd never imagine like crisps and sauces including seafood sauces.

It isn't a massive problem as far as I am aware. A lot of foods have been withdrawn, but the quantities involved are tiny. There don't seem to be any cases of human harm from it, the contra-indications come from giving large doses to laboratory mice. It used to be quite legal until a few years ago, so there's nothing new in it!

The recalls for this have been going on for the best part of a year - it just hasn't made the headlines as it has been obscure brands of chilli powders etc mainly affected.

This time around it has been Worcestershire Sauce. Three years or more ago lots of food manufacturers sought replacements for soy sauce in foods due to the problems with GM soy and the hassle with getting Identity Preserved sources etc. Worcestershire sauce / sauce powder was a useful alternative which is why it is so widely used and in a lot of products that you would not necessarily expect it to be in.

In my opinion I believe the risks to health are low - but it is illegal to use this dye so the recall is correct