What gift? Suggestions, please

Good News! We've been invited to the neighbours' son's First Communion ceremony and reception.

Bad news! We have no idea what gift would be appropriate for a boy of 13 or so, on this occasion. We live in a farming village in farming country, so no-one goes round in designer trainers or Armani jackets (except me when I drag out my old clothes). He doesn't appear to be mad about foorball. He has always been very friendly and polite ever since we first came here about 5 years ago.

Many of you, I'm sure, have children or grandchildren of this age. Can we benefit from your experience and wisdom? Please help with your list of suggestions. Not too expensive please - maybe up to or around 30€.

Patrick

High Patrick,

For my sons first communion the gifts he received were mainly of a religious nature.

Keepsakes to be treasured, rather than dvds etc. One of his nicest presents was an apple tree. A living keepsake of the occasion.

We have been to a french first communion celebration and it was fantastic. A really special day.

Have fun.

Best wishes

Annie

I have no specific advice to offer, but whatever you do, don't buy something that might be seen as frivolous. You probably have no idea HOW religious the parents and/or other guests may be and if they are taking this really seriously, a football shirt might upset them!

What about a book? Thinking along the lines of Quid, Vu or the latest Larousse encyclopaedia...I know my daughters have had plenty of use out of theirs!

I know in Ireland the traditional communion gift is cash! I'm not sure why, and it's not very sacred, but you generally receive cash from neighbours and friends, while godparents or close relatives will give communion medals, a prayer book, rosary beads etc, but certainly not presents that you'd give for a birthday

Perhaps a children's book on the life of saints would be appropriate - there are some pretty gorey stories in some of them that might appeal to a small boys' imagination.  I know I used to love a collection of stories about women saints, many of whom lived and died in v interesting ways

Thanks for your very helpful input. I particularly like the Apple tree and the Larousse ideas - I remember, at 12, being given a set of Oxford Childrens' Encyclopaedia that I used as my chief source of reference until I was 49.

But what, Battypuss, are Quid and Vu? You've got me stumped there.

Patrick

Quid is a bit like Pears Cyclopaedia; you can find the answers to virtually everything therein.

Vu is more of a pictorial encyclpaedia that covers everything from the insides of the Human body in gory detail to the internal combustion engine, I would imagine the general content would appeal to the average bloodthirsty little monster; well it does mine and they are all girls!

Both are freely available in a large bookshop and, as dates and battles and stuff, nor the human body for that matter, go out of date or change, one copy will last for ever!

All three books were given to my children by an ex-headmistress who had little time for the church but knew how to tread the line...

For my 1st Communion I was given a prayer book - Wonder where that is now?... and for my Communion solennelle a watch. I still have it and wear it sometime if I don't forget to wind it up! (long before batteries...)Did get lots of cash too but not directly. It was all given to my parents who wisely put it into a 'Caisse d'Epargne' account... On the day it didn't half annoyed me though!

Cash discretly in an enveloppe is the usual nowadays.. If the kid has a favorite magazine (fanzine!) a year's subscription to it... Ask the parents for some pointers on that. Nothing to flash anyhow.

I like the apple tree (whether the kid appreciated?...)

There was some one with forethought! I would have prefered that to the prayer book!! Oh...I remember I trashed it! with all my school books as in the old schoolkid chant when it is the last day of school ever!!

"C'est les vacances,

Plus de pénitence,

Les cahiers, les livres au feu,

et le maitre au milieu!!"

What a heathen I am!! but eh! sin is a such a pleasure!!

Who said pleasure was a sin!.....

Looked in his parents orchard and found it full of apple trees, pear trees, plum trees, etc. Probably not the right gift.

Thought about a good knife, Swiss army type, but decided it might be a bad idea if he took it to school or did something silly. Then we thought about a pen (mightier than the sword or Swiss Army knife) but, frankly, no-one uses a decent pen these days, especially not the young who have keyboard and IT skills surpassing those of most of us older people.

Finally got him a pair of binoculars. He might be interested in nature, or shooting, or sport - cricket, motor racing, yachting, or astronomy. They'll even be useful if all he wants to do is spy on the girls!

I'm sure you all ahd better ideas than this, but there seemed to be possible objections to everything alse we came up with

Thanks for your help

Patrick