Travel Insurance

Both my wife and I have annual travel insurance but my in laws, who come to France with us twice a year, have found the cost, now that they are in their late 70's/early 80's, prohibitive. They are both very healthy but what would be the position if they became ill in France?  Would the E111 cover all the costs of any emergency treatment or could they be billed for part of any treatment?

I realise that you said that they are in good health, but if either of them have a preexisting condition then remember that they should get an E form from Newcastle to cover anything that might occur due to this condition. E111's are simply for unpredictable emergency treatment, which they would certainly need to bring as well.

So equipped with their E111 (and the other E form(s), if necessary) they would be covered as we are in France. That is to say, we are covered for up to about 70% of most treatment and 35% to 65%/70% for medicines. There is also a charge of 14 euros a day if a person is in hospital and some surgeons make an extra charge over and above the Social Security figure. Also some doctors in say holiday places actually charge extra too.

NB When the european health cards start, I think that they will cover for both emergency and pre existing conditions.

My parents in their mid 70's visit and have never paid a great deal for insurance,certainly  never more than £40 each for a fortnights health cover. They just get their broker to ring round and get a quote and then decide which one offers the best value for money. Surely any cost under £100 each is worth it to have peace of mind and safety,they would certainly pay to go further afield wouldn't they if offered the chance?