Taxe D'Habitation

We are planning on moving to France this year and have amassed a lot of information about Income Tax, Inheritance tax, Taxe de Sejour etc etc but I am trying to find some information on the type and amount of tax we will be paying once our house is purchased. I know it really depends on the commune but has anyone got any "ball park" figures or any info/advice? We haven't yet decided what area of France we will end up in - we are going to travel for a few months, but we are trying to plan what are likely outgoings are to be, at least initially. Are there 3 levies relating to "council tax"? ie: Region/Department/Commune??

There are two taxes, one is an owners tax and is called taxe fonciere and the other is the local tax called taxe d'habitation.

Depends how much they are, there are some posters who pay next to nothing. And others of us whose taxes that are comparible with the UK. Depends where you want to live really. You would have to ask when visiting property or maybe at the Mairie of the commune where a property is, they should be able to give you a good idea.

Its as Teamed Up says . But you must bear in mind that the variations are even greater than in the UK.

In general the combined habitation and fonciere are cheaper than the UK, and broadly speaking the larger , newer, and more urban the property the more you pay. But for a small nice modern place in a popular area you can easily pay £2000. Equally for a large rundown rural property you could be paying £500. Charges can vary by 30% in adjacent communes.

It is also important to know that charges can increase rapidly from year to year, with no concept of council tax capping. Some people have faced increases of £400+ in a single year.

You won't have to worry about "taxe de séjour", as it's only imposed on holiday lets, as far as I know. 

When I was renting out a holiday house, my local commune levied some very small figure per person per night (0.22 euros; half for children), just for lets during July and August.  It doesn't apply to *you* living in your own house though - as you will already be paying the fairly hefty taxe d'habitation and taxe fonciere.

Incidentally, the person who pays the Td'H and the TF for the year is the person who owns the house on 1 January; so depending how soon you buy your house, you may get a few months before you have to pay those (unless the previous owner persuades you to split the charge pro rata).

Hopefully you won't have to be paying any inheritance tax for quite a time, either...  But you do need to take legal advice on this aspect - particularly on how to declare your marriage régime at the time of purchase - BEFORE buying.  Everybody's circumstances are different, and once it's all written down on the day of purchase it can't be amended. 

Angela

As someone else said, it depends on how rural the location, house size etc etc but it is impossible to give anyone a ball park figure - they just don't exist.  For example, my parents live 3km from us, in a small village with a restaurant and 3 shops; they have town gas and are on mains drainage; their house is about 100 years old and is a little smaller than ours and stands on 1000 sq metres of land.  They pay 400€ in habitation and a similar amount in fonciere.  We live completely out in the country in  a 250 year old house, have bottled gas and a fosse septique and about 2300 sq metres of land.  Our habitation is 105€ and fonciere is 114€!!!  Our water bill is also less because we don't have mains drainage to pay for!!!

As well as Taxe d'habitation and Taxe Fonciere, we also pay something called Redevance Ordures Menageres - for collection of rubbish, etc - twice a year. This year it's 128E

Oh yes, I forgot about the ordures bill and it's nearly as bigas our habitation one!  There was a big hoo ha last year because it went up from 50 euros to 72 euros and instead of the rubbish being collected from outside our houses or drives we now have to take it to a central collection point for our extra 22 euros!!!

OK: 2 bed cottage in rural hamlet, no mains drainage, no street lighting:

Taxe d'habitation 538 euros
Taxe fonciere 280 euros
Rubbish collection 87 euros

Friends with much larger houses seem to pay a lot less, but I guess it might be because our house was totally rebuilt (with planning permission) some 14 years ago, so the authorities know exactly how many loos it has etc...

Angela (UK & 85)