Hotels in Paris

Need some help here guys.

The wife hits the big 50 in July this year and so I thought I'd give her a nice weekend in Paris. Trouble is Paris is a bit of a blind spot with me and I've not got a clue about where to stay other than my usual haunts around France (Etap, B&B, F1 etc) All very nice I suppose but not really the thing for a weekend with the missus.

The surprise is to get to the Eiffel Tower and meet up with our four children so something not to far away would be nice.... and not to be a skinflint - around 200 Euros?

We plan to travel up by train from the Centre Region so parking is not a consideration.

Thanks.

I would recommend the Hotel Cujas Pantheon.  It is a 2* but in a very good location, it is in the 5e arondissement and right next to the Sorbonne.  Has all the facilities you would need, TV (in English) nice beds/ensuite.  It is a stone's throw of the Seine and Notre Dame and opposite the Sorbonne.  There are plenty of good restaurants and if you walk down to the 6e you can find some really exclusive ones.  It is around 85E per room which is excellent value.  Also not too far to walk to Musee D;Orsay and The Louvre! It is near Metro/RER Luxembourg and Saint Michel.

www.hotelcujaspantheon.com

Have fun and enjoy.

Deby (17 Charente Maritime)

I took my husband to Paris for a birthday surprise last year and we stayed at the Millesime Hotel in St Germain. I found it in the Alastair "Special Places to Stay" guide to Paris hotels.
http://www.millesimehotel.com/
http://www.specialplacestostay.com/search/display.php?FileID=ph1292

It was small and intimate, and I would definitely recommend it - perfect for a romantic getaway! It has just 22 rooms and is not part of a chain, and their superior double rooms are 205 Euros, so just within your budget.

Another thing which I would thoroughly recommend, is to take a dinner dance cruise on the Bateaux Parisiens - http://www.bateauxparisiens.com/english/main.htm. Make sure you book the "Select Service" which costs 115Euros - you are then guaranteed a table by the window. I thought that the food would be a bit naff, as it is such a touristy thing to do and being served on a boat I wasn't expecting much from the kitchen, but was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I think it was the nicest meal we had during our weekend, and it was so magical cruising past all the sights all lit up at night.

Hope you have a great time, whatever you choose to do.

It's at the opposite end of town from le Tour but one of the nicest and often most overlooked corners of Paris (at least by British tourists), Ile St Louis, immediately behind Notre Dame.  There are two gems of hotels within yards of each other, on the main street, rue St Louis.  One is Hotel des Deux Iles (tel: 01 43 26 13 35) the other, and IMHO the nicer, Hotel du Jeu de Paume (tel: 01 43 26 14 18).  Both are crammed full of character, though rooms are miniscule.  Fab non-touristy places to eat too on same street. Vache d'Or, just down the street same side as hotels or la Reine Blanche, much further down on opposite side.  You'll need to book at both. 

American friends we meet in Paris every winter always stay at Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, rue du Cardinal Lemoine, 5eme (www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com)  It's rather like a small country house in the city centre and has a beautiful garden, so rare in Paris.

Enjoy.  M

[quote]Need some help here guys. The wife hits the big 50 in July this year and so I thought I'd give her a nice weekend in Paris. Trouble is Paris is a bit of a blind spot with me and I've not got a clue a...[/quote]

Here is the address I stay at (when they are not fully booked!) whenever I go to Paris for work or see friends and relatives.

Port Royal Hotel

8 Boulevard Port Royal

in the 5th arrondissement

Tel + 33 (0)143 31 70 06

Fax + 33 (0)143 31 33 67

Run by Mr and Mme Giraud.

It is a ONE star family run hotel. The same family at the helm for over 70 years!

It is quiet (No TV or radio in bedrooms but with so much to do outside do you need it?) clean, very attentive staff!

Last time I stayed there on business, I paid only 75Euros a night for a single room en suite!! now find that somewhere else in Paris!

It is 2 minutes from the Gobelins Metro, Bus Ligne 91 is just outside their front door and it will take you to Montparnasse (get out of the bus at Vavin-you'll here the annoncement in the bus) then walk down the Rue de Rennes towards the river and you will be arrive in St Germain des Prés.

Only snag is that they DO NOT accept credit card so you need to send them a cheque as deposit (usually the first night's cost) to secure your booking.

Have a very nice weekend with all your family. Wish the lucky Lady many happy returns from me. I could not think of a better place to spend my 50th! Hope my husband remembers that when it comes! Huh!

My best wishes!